1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

ME Association: ‘ME Awareness Week 2018’ New Early Day Motion Launched by Carol Monaghan MP

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Eagles, May 9, 2018.

1. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When MPs say that they don't sign EDMs maybe it would be worth people emphasising that this is an unusual case, where a section of the UK state that politicians tend to just defer to (medical research) has made serious mistakes, and now appears to be trying to avoid acknowledging their failings, so just having MPs show concern will be of some value, and may help make it clear that this issue cannot be swept under the carpet. There is a danger that presenting this as a challenge to the medical research Establishment would make most MPs run a mile though.

I wish that this bit had not been included in the EDM, I really don't see any benefit to it, and think it would be stronger without: "recognises the fantastic work campaigners and charities are doing to highlight ME as a physical condition which is not all in the mind".

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I'm assuming that you mean that it's frustrating that MPs can choose to just not sign any EDMs at all ever, whether they theoretically support them or not, which I agree with you on.

If the first initial response is that he/she just doesn't sign them at all, my suggestion would be to ask if they support the wording of the EDM and, if they do, what will they be doing to support the efforts of Carol Monaghan in improving the lives of 250,000 ME sufferers in the UK, and, if they don't, why they feel that the 250,000 ME sufferers are adequately provided for.

3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

88 signatures, new ones below.
    Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 09.24.28.png

4. Sunshine3

Sunshine3 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Brilliant Andy, that's a super jump!!

5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Previous update from yesterday going from 72 to 80.

6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

97 signatures, new ones below
    Screen shot 2018-05-24 at 09.01.58.png

7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Every time I see this thread I feel guilty about not contacting my MP yet. Task for today...
    I wrote to him last year before the NICE guidelines announced their review. Got a dismissive answer. I really should try again now there's something easy to ask him to do.

MEMarge, dangermouse, Joh and 13 others like this.
  8. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Esther12
    I wish that this bit had not been included in the EDM, I really don't see any benefit to it, and think it would be stronger without: "recognises the fantastic work campaigners and charities are doing to highlight ME as a physical condition which is not all in the mind".

Maybe just end it after "physical condition". I get uncomfortable when explaining this illness is not psychological. It can sound as if psychological illnesses are not as important instead of wanting an accurate explanation.

EDIT: no idea what happened there. Apologies. @Esther12's quote ended at "in the mind."

9. Esther12

The 'all in the mind' phrasing is loose in a way that I think is unhelpful, but even just the "recognises the fantastic work campaigners and charities are doing to highlight ME as a physical condition" bit is unhelpful imo.

Wouldn't it be better to just have "recognises the fantastic work campaigners and charities are doing to help improve how those with ME are treated"? The criticism of PACE would be strong without the 'physical condition' reference, which I don't think will be of any benefit to us, but might risk playing into some prejudices.

Skycloud likes this.
  10. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Ditto she won’t sign but I will ask for support for a debate

11. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I contacted mine, but as always is proving highly immune to to my efforts.

12. Barry

Whatever was written there would likely be something we felt not quite right. In many ways it is more the process that is important.

13. Esther12

I can focus on any problems, maybe in the hope of avoiding them in the future, but this is still definitely a good thing.

Invisible Woman and Barry like this.
  14. Andy

Andy Committee Member

The big 100 has been hit, new signatures below.
    Screen Shot 2018-05-24 at 22.11.44.png

15. Sunshine3

Sunshine3 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Any increase since Andy? If you have numbers handy...thanks

16. Barry

Inara, Andy, Indigophoton and 4 others like this.
  17. NelliePledge

My mp as expected won’t sign but I did at least get a commitment from the Parliamentary assistant that the MP would review the information and discuss the issue of a debate with colleagues. So I went back and said Nicky Morgan had been to screening of Unrest in her constituency and spoken about it in her local paper. Hopefully she will ask NM about it and a bit of progress may be made. I’ve also said I posted about the response on the local ME group Facebook page. Meeting is still allegedly on offer when I can do it so I need to start preparing myself.

18. NelliePledge

19. dangermouse

dangermouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah, that’s what I meant. :thumbup:

20. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Another 15 signatures, now at 115.
    Screen Shot 2018-06-06 at 10.54.09.png