1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

ME and the Times- a change of direction? Merryn Crofts' inquest

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Binkie4, May 26, 2018.

1. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...d-as-hysterical-vindicated-in-death-lq9j2lc7w

The Times today, page 25, also online.

Such a different tone from previous articles. Great quote from Charles Shepherd "the difference between ME and just feeling tired is the same as the difference between having a shower and drowning."

MErryn's mother seems to have been interviewed. She has been so helpful repeatedly to the cause of ME advocacy. Covers many areas- disbelief by doctors, fear of disbelief from family, review of Nice guidelines, severe ME. Another step on the way.

EDIT: the online article attached to the link is much briefer than the hard copy which is quite comprehensive. Will look for a link to hard copy.

Extracts from the full article below. Edited for copyright reasons.

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2018
  2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is a good article. I'm not sure about GET CBT being regarded as psychological therapy rather than rehabilitative therapy. The clever quote regarding drowning actually came from someone on MEA Facebook in response to a call to how would we distinguish ME from TATT.

It's good to see sensitive serious reporting but having seen the excellent coverage by daily mail of the Lynn gilderdale case (2009?,) which once again highlighted the potential severity and destruction, yet recently headlines in there such as this might be proof it's not all in the mind etc, I don't think it necessarily represents as sea change

4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

one of my little group of ex-work friends mentioned this article about Merryn to me on our whatsapp group today so I got the opportunity without raising it myself to do a little bit more education about very severe ME and what patients and families go through