1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Mayo Clinic Guide to Fibromyalgia: Strategies to Take Back Your Life By A. Abril M.D. & B.K. Bruce Ph.D. L.P., Mayo Clinic Press (2019)

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Patient4Life, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Patient4Life

Patient4Life Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mayo Clinic Guide to Fibromyalgia: Strategies to Take Back Your Life By A. Abril M.D. & B.K. Bruce Ph.D. L.P., Mayo Clinic Press (2019)

I have not read it but when looking for information on what Fibromyalgia is, I liked what I read.

Pg. 15

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    shak8 and oldtimer like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Literally zero evidence for this claim. It could be true, if eventually demonstrated. Still, there is exactly zero evidence behind it.

Why do medical professionals make claims with zero evidence behind them? I don't get it. I'm so disappointed at the whole thing, so many unprofessional people acting no different than witch doctors and snake oil salespeople of old. A full decade of education and this is what they do with it.

Basically, where technology has failed to make progress, medicine is still roughly in the same stage it was in the time of Hippocrates, though somehow caring about as much about the prime directive as they do on Star Trek. So freaking embarrassing.

Get your damn shit together people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl17CYYSzUw

Sarah94, duncan, shak8 and 3 others like this.
  3. Patient4Life

Patient4Life Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There is research on the brain and spinal cords of Fibro patients. It isn't a lot of research but, it isn't zero either.

Fibromyalgia notable research

Sarah94 likes this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not on the claim of miscommunication between nerves and how it relates to the brain. This seems to be the CSS thing. It is widely believed but has no evidence for it. It could be partially correct, but to make that claim until it is is irresponsible.

This is exactly the main criticism against pseudoscience, not that their specific claims are wrong but that they often make claims without bothering to require evidence for them.

Reputable clinics should not engage in baseless claims, no matter the reasoning behind, no matter how aspirational it is to believe that "rousing reassurance", the mere act of giving an explanation that is not life-threatening, is all that is needed for "those patients".

Sarah94, JohnM and duncan like this.
  5. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We need to start doing a "Mayo clinic or self help book advice? You be the judge" thread.

mango, rvallee and Trish like this.
  6. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good luck on taking back your life. Not going to happen. You adjust. "Taking back your life" signifies that you will return to your life; the title is that glorious placebo of false hope.

The reality is quite stark. You have a vastly reduced life (depending on severity).

Mayo advice seems bland and therefore useless.

Holinger, rvallee, ukxmrv and 3 others like this.
  7. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What I see in all this are things that looks superficially possibly correct. A whole story is built around how this supposedly works and for anyone who has no deep knowledge of the involved systems and/or is not capable of being aware of what it is that we don't know (what gaps there might be) the thing looks plausible.

This type of theorising (being super happy with easy untested theories) along with the science publishing problems of subservience to making $billions makes me sad that there is not more scrutiny from multiple quarters on issues that have so much importance for all of us in the long run (and more immediately for some of us).

MEMarge likes this.