1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Maximal oxygen uptake and lactate metabolism are normal in chronic fatigue syndrome, 2002, Charli Sargent et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Mij, Aug 20, 2022.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract

Purpose: Previous studies in chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) have reported reductions in maximal oxygen uptake (VO(2max)), yet often the testing procedures have not followed accepted guidelines, and gender data have been pooled. The present study was undertaken to reevaluate exercise capacity in CFS patients by using "gold standard" maximal exercise testing methodology and stratifying results on a gender basis.

Methods: Sixteen male and 17 female CFS patients and their gender-, age-, and mass-matched sedentary controls performed incremental exercise to volitional exhaustion on a stationary cycle ergometer while selected cardiorespiratory and metabolic variables were measured.

Results: VO(2max) in male CFS patients was not different from control values (CFS: 40.5 +/- 6.7; controls: 43.3 +/- 8.6; mL x kg(-1) x min(-1)) and was 96.3 +/- 17.9% of the age-predicted value, indicating no functional aerobic impairment (3.7 +/- 17.9%). In female CFS patients, VO(2max) was lower than control values (CFS: 30.0 +/- 4.7; controls: 34.2 +/- 5.6; mL x kg(-1) x min(-1), P = 0.002), but controls were higher than the age-predicted value (112.6 +/- 15.4%, P = 0.008) whereas the CFS patients were 101.2 +/- 20.4%, indicating no functional aerobic impairment (-1.2 +/- 20.4%). Maximal heart rate (HR(max)) in male CFS patients was lower than their matched controls (CFS: 184 +/- 10; controls: 192 +/- 12; beats x min(-1); P = 0.016) but was 99.1 +/- 5.5% of their age-predicted value. In female CFS patients, HR(max) was not different from controls (CFS: 183 +/- 11; controls: 186 +/- 10; beats x min(-1)) and was 98.9 +/- 5.1% of the age-predicted value. The VO(2) at the lactate threshold (LT) in each gender group, whether expressed in mL x kg(-1) x min(-1) or as a percentage of VO(2max), was not different between CFS patients and controls.

Conclusions: In contrast to most previous reports, the present study found that VO(2max), HR(max), and the LT in CFS patients of both genders were not different from the values expected in healthy sedentary individuals of a similar age.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11782647/

2. livinglighter

livinglighter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What patient criteria did they use for the study?

hinterland and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  3. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan, livinglighter, Lilas and 3 others like this.
  4. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This obviously disproves the myth that deconditioning leads to ME/CFS symptoms.

Hutan, FMMM1, ahimsa and 12 others like this.
  5. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's a long time ago, but I recall two of the authors, Garry Scroop and Richard Burnet, were investigating lactate levels in ME/CFS after exercise. There was a lot of hype about this not long after I first became ill, but it disappeared without a trace not long after.

A friend who was a doctor and was a colleague of Dr Burnet prescribed Spironolactone for me on this experimental basis. It didn't do anything for me.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
    Hutan, MEMarge, oldtimer and 8 others like this.
  6. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Lactate may not be a waste by-product of metabolism. For a newer view on the role of lactate as a universal fuel that can balance the energy needs across the entire body, see the thread on Lactate: the ugly duckling of energy metabolism.

MEMarge, Lilas, cfsandmore and 9 others like this.
  7. Snow Leopard

Yes, lactic acid is a metabolic buffer and is less acidic than pyruvate.

While during intense exercise, it is flushed out of cells into circulation, it can later be turned back into glucose by the liver, so that the energy that remains isn't wasted.

We also know that the presence of lactate alone does not cause pain or the symptoms of fatigue. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946674/

Hutan, FMMM1, merylg and 12 others like this.
  8. livinglighter

livinglighter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In 2002 I think it was Fuduka. So, participants may/may not have PEM unless specified.

RedFox, Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  9. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can't find anything about this that I can understand. When I overexert my muscles burn like acid runs through them. If this is now known not to be lactic acid are there any ideas what it is?

oldtimer, Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  10. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ahimsa, SNT Gatchaman, Sarah and 4 others like this.
  11. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That is interesting. So it looks like the burning could be because we can't clear carbonic acid. That would make sense if we run our aerobic system until it can do no more so the acid builds up. It would explain why it is not always so bad, burning, yes but not agony.

12. Snow Leopard

It is not just carbonic acid though, the Light study also showed that stimulation of purinergic G protein coupled receptors was necessary for the sensation of fatigue - or to put it another way, there shouldn't be ATP (which is a high energy/reactive molecule) floating around outside of cells in significant quantities - it should not be leaking from cells.

That is a great talk, I wish more people would watch it.

FMMM1, ahimsa, Lilas and 7 others like this.
  13. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This video has given me a basic understanding of energy production and ME more than anything else. It's easy to follow for a non-scientist. I used the information in it to get myself reasonably fit without crashing before some major surgery a few years ago. It's a keeper for me.

ahimsa, MEMarge, NelliePledge and 2 others like this.