1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Matthew Hotopf on panel deciding criteria for assessing research in REF2021

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Esther12, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

http://www.ref.ac.uk/media/ref,2021/downloads/Criteria phase panel membership - updated 23.03.18.pdf

REF2021 is an important process for assessing the quality of research from UK universities, and can have a big impact on future funding that they attract.

REF2014 was full of BS spun submissions about how much great research on CFS had been done by White/Sharpe/etc/etc. It seemed like this all sailed through.

Hotopf often co-authors with Wessely, and seemed unable to understand problems with research like PACE: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4585442/

I've tried to find ways of drawing attention to problems with the REF2014 process, but have failed. I don't even really know how the REF2014 process assessed submissions on things like PACE. It would be good if REF2021 didn't turn into a celebration of hype and quackery.

inox, ladycatlover, rvallee and 10 others like this.
  2. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

Most research seems to involves a lot of hype so that may be hard.

3. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have no specific knowledge, but this seems to be a very important topic.

Could we as a group ask them for clarification of their views on monitoring such as outcome switching and collecting subjects response before trial registration, and their views on using only subjective outcomes in unblinded trials? Presenting these in the context of high levels of spending in the UK on research on the BPS approaches to ME in contrast to minimal spending on biomedical research. EG the prestigious UK Biobank has had to rely on patient and charitable contributions and (albeit not insignificant) international funding.

It could be that they will ignore (corrected typo) this, but at least it puts them on notice.

inox, MEMarge, ScottTriGuy and 5 others like this.
  4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

inox and MEMarge like this.
  5. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am just getting error msg when type in above. If I try link directly it just goes to med school info.

ladycatlover and chrisb like this.
  6. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Given that Hotopf, Wessely and Sharpe in their book Chronic Fatigue and its Syndromes made clear their failure to understand a literary construction which should have been straightforward for an able GCSE student, it is perhaps not surprising that they might struggle with more complex matters.

It might be recalled that they attributed to Rachel Jenkins views about hysteria which she quite clearly did not hold. She was paraphrasing Donald Acheson, who was setting up a strawman for demolition. Such grasp of literary technique might explain more.

inox, Sean, ladycatlover and 3 others like this.
  7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

ladycatlover likes this.