1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Masks for smog/smoke

Discussion in 'Cardiovascular and exercise physiology (CPET)' started by James Morris-Lent, Aug 27, 2018.

1. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A lot of wildfire smoke has been hanging around where I live. The air quality has been at times much worse than even China's most foul. It has affected me quite substantially so I've had to avoid going outside.

I wonder if anybody has found a brand of mask that has helped them with any environmental sensitivities?

Ive ordered some single use masks that are highly regarded, but one that could be used for weeks/months before disposal would be great, as it seems like this whole smoke thing is likely to become the norm in the summers.

2. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've only used 3M half masks before, not too uncomfortable, depending on the filters used and the environment filters can last quite a while, changing colour when they need changing (or so I was told). I wouldn't want to wear one 24/7 tho.

They do make breathing a little more effort, I wouldn't have thought much more than a standard cotton type decorators mask but this should probably be taken into account.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  3. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Haven't tried them myself but these look rather cool. For the fashion conscious with a few spare dollars. Claim that the wool filters are easier to breathe through than other types. Ship internationally.
    https://www.meoair.com/

James Morris-Lent likes this.
  4. Diluted-biscuit

Diluted-biscuit Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Would any mask filter out smog and fire particulates? I’d have thought you’d need a respirator rated for vapours to stop stuff that fine getting through. As wonko said, I wouldn’t want to be wearing one of those all day.

For inside the house would a hepa air filter be a better choice?

5. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have at times used a mask from 3M like Wonko, which resembles half a gas mask, for dust and winter smog when I had asthma and lived in another city. They work, but they are very clammy and I would always get a rash from the closed-in sweat.

Wonko, James Morris-Lent and Trish like this.
  6. Diluted-biscuit

Diluted-biscuit Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@James Morris-Lent

I’d be interested to know what you end up using. I have asthma and MCS.

I live in a bushfire prone area and we were evacuated earlier this year due to a fire which devastated our area. The smoke hung around for weeks.

More recent bushfires have brought more smoke.

I have opted to stay inside and try and avoid it.

When we were evacuated I used a wet face cloth to cover my face. I’ve previously used a wet handkerchief in a situation where we unexpectedly had to drive through bushfire affected country. This works well if you don’t have a proper mask available.

Best wishes Andy

andypants, Wonko, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  8. lafarfelue

lafarfelue Established Member

Vogmask are very good. Comfortable and light compared with the more industrial types, as well as high filtration.

https://www.vogmask.com/

Some basic info from the site:

What they filter
    "VOGMASK is used for protection from airborne particles such as PM 0.3, PM 2.5, PM 10, dust, allergens, post combustion particles, germs, shavings, biologics, odors, scents, mold, mold spores, particles in wildfire smoke, volcanic particulate pollution, and other airborne contaminants. The benefits of particulate respirators are confirmed by leading health providers worldwide. Highly efficient filtering masks help protect the mask wearer from particles as small as .254 microns."

What they're made of
    "Raw materials are: Organic cotton or microfiber outer and inner layer, microfiber particle filter, coconut shell derived carbon ash bonded to textile, latex free spandex trim and ear loops, aluminum noseband, ABS Resin exhale valve base and cover with silicone stopper. MATERIAL DATA SAFETY SHEETS have established material components as safe for respirators. There is NO LATEX in the manufacture of Vogmask, and Vogmask is printed with safe for respirator inks and dyes. NOTE: The disk of the side of the mask is a one way exhalation valve to facilitate exit of CO2 and moisture from interior of the mask, adding to comfort while mask wearing."

James Morris-Lent and Wonko like this.