1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Maria Gjerpe TEDx talk on the MEandYOU crowdfunding for the Norwegian rituximab trial

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Sasha, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm amazed I never heard of this! It was uploaded a year ago and has had only 1,500 views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQhSHugRODY

Maria is my hero(ine)! She's the reason we got a rituximab trial, IMO. She's a previously bedbound medical doctor who recovered from her ME/CFS following rtx treatment in a pilot study by Fluge and Mella and decided to dedicate three solid months to fundraising for a full trial.

She did an incredible job, got a huge profile for the study in Norway, raised a ton of money and shamed the Norwegian government into coughing up the rest.

Here's her old site: http://www.meyou.no/this-is/

It's fantastic to see that she describes herself as 'healthy and sound'. :)

Mark, Zombie Lurker, ahimsa and 29 others like this.
  2. Sasha

Don't know if you're interested in passing on the link to that talk, @Tom Kindlon? I think a lot of people would want to know what happened to Maria and will be pleased to see her doing well.

Tom Kindlon, Woolie, Esther12 and 5 others like this.
  3. Helen

Helen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I saw Maria on TV in a makeover TV programme some years ago. I didn´t know about her and her history at that time, so it was amazing to see her. She looked radiant, energetic and was a very postive person. Trinny and Susannah from the UK were in Norway and picked up Maria in the street. She told that she had been severely sick, and even bedbound, and now needed help to dress for her new and healthy life. Seeing Maria gave me a lot of hope.

Tom Kindlon, Woolie, Esther12 and 7 others like this.
  4. Sasha

Wow, what were the odds of that!

5. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Extremely long.

MEMarge and Sasha like this.