1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Mapping illness

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Amw66, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I saw this on Twitter and wondered -
    Given that ME may have environmental triggers has anyone mapped where people with ME lived when they started being ill ( i know that this will be difficult for gradual onset)
    My interest is piqued as most of the mums i know are either rural ( potential pesticides) or in old industrial heartlands.

Does anyone feel this is worth an MEA survey?

Samuel, MSEsperanza and alktipping like this.
  2. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

If you mean the type of environment ( rural, semi-rural, urban industrial, city centre, suburban...) rather than actual geographical location, you could experiment to see how feasible it is by setting up a poll on this forum.

MSEsperanza and alktipping like this.
  4. BruceInOz

BruceInOz Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To be meaningful you would have to correct for population density, otherwise I just see it being a map of population density.

5. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ME and CFS show up all over the world in similar prevalance, if there are any key environmental factors (besides infections), they seem ubiquitous.

Skycloud and Trish like this.
  6. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We know that ME happens in epidemics and clusters and organophosphate poisoning in rural areas gives a syndrome similar to ME. Glandular fever is ubiquitous though most people never get ME from it. I don't think a map would tell us anything more.

7. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Years ago, someone had an online map somewhere that people with ME/CFS could add themselves to. I don't remember who or where.