1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Managing Functional Neurological Disorders: Protocol of a Cohort Study on Psychogenic Non-Epileptic Seizures Study, 2019, Altalib et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Open access, https://www.dovepress.com/managing-...ort-study--peer-reviewed-fulltext-article-NDT

2. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"...Since PNES are cared for by a variety of different modalities, treatment orientations, and models of care, effectiveness outcomes such as seizure outcomes and utilization of emergency visits for seizures will be assessed. Outcome measurements such as seizure frequency, emergency room visits, hospital admissions, suicide-related behavior, and psychotherapy prior to and after PNES diagnosis will be used to assess the effectiveness of models of care."

I propose they add another outcome measurement: rates of medical PTSD from a FND label and interactions with health care.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    Sean, Snowdrop, MEMarge and 1 other person like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I guess EEGS can now spot "preoccupations" now.
    Sounds more like there should be efforts made to increase the use of this test. Or we could go with feelings. Different schools of thought, I guess.

Oh, boy.
    It's biasing to have more reliably diagnosed participants in studies. See, that's always the problem with science, it's way too precise and someone has to take a stand against and reject the tyranny of accuracy that impairs belief systems from gaining proper legitimacy.
    Being accurate is too expensive so let's be less accurate it's all the same anyway, said no actual scientist ever. Same logic behind always keeping with self-reported questionnaires and avoiding objective measures like the plague.
    Bias is good when it gives the answers you want. Psychics have known about this for centuries, by the way. The same could be said of ghost hunters and astrology.

This whole thing is about as close as it gets to a medical religion.

4. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From what I can see this study design is built to look for plausible causes/interventions that would then need to be investigated in rigorous experiments.

So that would just be another acknowledgment that
    That are, if these authors are to be trusted, not even known to be plausible based on even observational data.

More backfilling @dave30th

rvallee likes this.