1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Malaria and Lyme Disease The Largest Vector-Borne US Epidemics in the Last 100 Years...J. Benach et al

Discussion in 'Infections: Lyme, Candida, EBV ...' started by duncan, Jul 13, 2019.

1. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://bmcpublichealtbiomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12889-019-7069-6h.

I found this to be an interesting read for a couple reasons.

First, Jorge Benach, one of the authors, was on the Lyme scene virtually at the very beginning. He is one of the individuals who supplied Willy Burgdorfer with the ticks from Long Island that Burgdorfer found both a new strain of Borrelia that would be named for him, and also an unusual strain of rickettsia which somehow got buried for three decades or so.

Second, they actually employ the word "epidemic" when describing Lyme.

Third, this is a vector approach to tackling tick-borne diseases. I don't think they can make this work, but it's a nice thought, and who knows?

Moderators: I truncated the title - it's really long. If this is not good, please let me know and I will try to fix, or you can.
    OR you can just delete since I cannot make these links work. :(
    https://bmcpublichealtbiomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12889-019-7069-6h.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  2. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. duncan

ladycatlover likes this.
  4. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That all sounds very sensible. It will probably be ignored.

5. duncan

I think vaccine is the best play.Some of the vaccines being trialed today are kind of like tick vaccines, ie, they stop the tick from emptying anything into its victim, at least in theory.

There are like 16 TBD's, though. Hard to believe they could stop them all dead in their tracks, but wouldn't that be great?

At this point, I'd be happy if they could stop Lyme - without making some portion of the vaccinated population sick (which is purportedly what happened back around 2000 with that Lyme vaccine.)

Simbindi, ladycatlover and Starlight like this.
  6. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting article. I'd love to see someone do something similar about ticks and Lyme disease burden in UK!

I was very interested in the approach to malaria via mosquito control. Currently there are more mosquito species spreading in Europe, that carry some rather nasty diseases. The tiger mosquito is apparently becoming more common in France*, it can carry dengue, chikungunya and Zika virus. It's established in Paris - prob only a matter of time before it crosses the Channel.

*Source: ProMED-Mail.