1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Mad Cow Disease: The Great British Beef Scandal

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by InitialConditions, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Annamaria

Annamaria Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is an article about unwanted chemicals in us and our environment. I read Slow Death by Rubber Duck, and thought it was a good read. Aside from the Rubber Duck book, the authors have experimented on themselves with some toxins, doing pre and post measurements.

Integrative Medicine: A Clinician's Journal article: co-author of Slow Death by Rubber Duck, and Toxin Toxout: Getting Harmful Chemicals Out of Our Bodies and Our World, Rick Smith talks about chemicals, the harm they can do, and some ways to decrease them in our environment, and ourselves:

"Rick Smith, Environmentalist [Ph.D. biology]: Understanding the Personal Impact of Toxins and Our Various Roles in Making a Difference":

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4566446/

Annamaria likes this.
  3. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

People need to take the long view.

We are living on and made of the toxic byproducts of stars (toxic to stars)
    We are star shit.

Our form of life was only made possible because of the toxic byproduct of an earlier form of life, that excreted oxygen. When levels rose enough multicellular life was able to evolve, because oxygen based metabolisms allow for more. The originators of the oxygen literally drowned in their own excrement - the pollution their own nature/biology created.

They died because they lived, we live because they were good at it, and thus, in their success, polluted themselves out of existence.

Things come along, they modify the universe until they make it completely inhospitable for them, they die.

The next thing comes along and if it's good at living in the shit the previously created it thrives, for a while.

Rinse and repeat.

That's evolution folks.

By polluting the environment, and everything it contains, including ourselves, we are just following a tried, tested, and presumably authorised, path.

Welcome to this particular hell universe.

(please recycle carefully)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    TiredSam, chrisb and DokaGirl like this.
  4. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can vCJD be transmitted from one person to another?

That form of life would be plants and there are still some of them around. :emoji_blossom: :D

TiredSam likes this.
  5. Wonko

How do you suppose they evolved in an atmosphere without it, to produce all this free oxygen?

The first things to use photosynthesis to produce oxygen were cyanobacteria.

After a while they produced so much that by and large they all died, there are a few types still around that have evolved a higher oxygen tolerance but that's evolution for you - they are no longer the dominant life form on the planet.

This 'sudden' increase in atmospheric oxygen is hypothesized to be the reason for the existence of huge amounts of red strata that, as far as I know, not having personally looked everywhere, covers the globe, at various depths. ALthough some area's, presumably located near large colonies, do have significantly more, possibly due to a higher local concentration of oxygen close to the source.

Prior to that there was, allegedly, a lot of free iron, once atmospheric oxygen levels rose it all rusted, leading to a load of red rocks.

Or so the story goes.

Mithriel, Trish and Little Bluestem like this.
  6. Wonko

Closely related diseases can be, spongiform conditions can be 'passed' by consuming human brains.

They can also be passed by blood (ETA - from someone who is infected), although the probability is low even with unfiltered blood, or so I am told - and blood all over the world, outside Transylvania, is filtered to prevent this sort of things these days.

Or so we are told.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    Little Bluestem likes this.
  7. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It can by blood and transplants. The rest is still under debate.

8. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Vegetarians and vegans would definitely not be consuming human brains, so I don't think that was the reason they had in mind. Maybe they were concerned about previous blood transfusions, needle sharing, or some such.

Wonko likes this.
  9. lansbergen

I forgot medical instruments.

10. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was always amused by the "no donations if you are from the UK" and bans on British beef.

The UK tested it's beef and had regulations, other countries were BSE free because they were careful not to test for it. But then I am very cynical... And I could drive myself crazy worrying about everything. I had children eating meat during the BSE crisis and drinking milk just after Chernobyl.

I just hope for the best.

NelliePledge, ladycatlover and Wonko like this.
  11. lansbergen

It were EU regulations. The UK tried to lift it for a long time.

ladycatlover likes this.
  12. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That I can believe!

ladycatlover likes this.
  13. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I asked the awkward squad question on public confidence and contaminated blood N V CJD..........
    Correction 1 05 into session!

https://www.thersa.org/events/2019/07/our-future-in-the-land

Our Future in the Land
    Tuesday 16th July 2019 at 18:00 - 19:15

The Great Room, RSA House

RSA Food, Farming and Countryside Commission: Final Report Launch

Since launching in November 2017, the independent RSA Food, Farming and Countryside Commission has sought to think afresh about the UK’s food, farming and countryside.

We have worked with farming and food businesses, public health and citizens groups, environment and economics experts and many more to understand how we can respond more effectively and urgently to global and domestic challenges, from climate change to spiralling diet-related ill health.

The actions we take in the next ten years, to stop ecosystems collapse, to recover and regenerate nature and to restore people’s health and wellbeing are now critical. In our final report, the Commission sets out radical and practical ways for policymakers, business and communities to respond to the challenges.

The Commission believes it is vital to hear the voices of those not usually involved in these kinds of debates – embarking on a seven-month cycle tour of the whole UK to hear first-hand the reality of living in the countryside. The Commission also led separate inquiries in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland and locally-led inquiries in Devon, Cumbria and Lincolnshire to focus in on those issues unique to different parts of the UK.

Rt Hon Michael Gove MP and Henry Dimbleby join Commission Chair Sir Ian Cheshire to discuss the final report and its accompaniment, The Field Guide for the Future.

The event will be followed by a food and drinks reception where you will be able to find out more about the work of the Commission and have an opportunity for networking.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    Amw66 and Wonko like this.