Trial Report Low Vasopressin in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 2024, Huhmar/Bragée/Polo

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Dolphin, Apr 13, 2024.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.neurology.org/doi/10.1212/WNL.0000000000205761

GENERAL NEUROLOGY: NEUROIMMUNOLOGY
    April 9, 2024
    Free Access

Low Vasopressin in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (P4-4.006)

Helena Huhmar, Lauri Soinne, Per Sjögren, Bo Christer Bertilson, Per Hamid Ghatan, Björn Bragée, and Olli Polo
    AUTHORS INFO & AFFILIATIONS
    April 9, 2024 issue
    102 (17_supplement_1)
    https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.0000000000205761

Abstract

Objective:

To shed light on the pathophysiology of water homeostasis in patients with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS), classified by WHO as a neurological disease (ICD 10 code G933).

Background:

The complex symptomatology of ME/CFS includes signs suggesting abnormal water homeostasis and hypovolemia. Since many patients report polyuria-polydipsia, we conducted an observational series of plasma and urine osmolality as well as plasma levels of vasopressin (VP) in consecutive patients diagnosed with ME/CFS according to the Canadian Consensus Criteria.

Design/Methods:

Plasma and urine osmolality (P-Osm and U-Osm, respectively) and plasma VP levels were measured in 111 patients after overnight fasting and 10-hour fluid deprivation. The clinical routine also included brain MRI and blood chemistry.

Results:

Following the fluid deprivation P-Osm was above normal (>292 mOsm/kg) in 61 patients (55.0%) and U-Osm below normal (< 750 mOsm/kg) in 74 patients (66.7%). VP-levels were below the level of detection (<1.6 pg/mL) in 91 patients (82.0%). A normal level of VP in relation to their P-Osm was found in 11 patients (9.9 %). The state resembling a central type of diabetes insipidus (cDI) would in the absence of hypophyseal imaging findings and blood chemistry consistent with any other hypophyseal hormonal defect be classified as idiopathic.

Conclusions:

Our findings suggest that deficiency of vasopressin secretion is a fundamental measurable part of the disease mechanisms, which may underlie a number of symptoms in ME/CFS, including the common complaint of orthostatic intolerance.

Disclosure: Helena Huhmar has nothing to disclose. Dr. Soinne has nothing to disclose. The institution of Prof. Sjögren has received research support from Patient-led Research Collaboration, US. Prof. Sjögren has received publishing royalties from a publication relating to health care. The institution of Dr. Bertilson has received personal compensation in the range of $50,000-$99,999 for serving as a Consultant for Medect Clinical Trial AB. The institution of Dr. Bertilson has received personal compensation in the range of $50,000-$99,999 for serving on a Scientific Advisory or Data Safety Monitoring board for Medect Clinical Trials AB. The institution of Dr. Bertilson has received research support from ME UK. Dr. Bertilson has received intellectual property interests from a discovery or technology relating to health care. Dr. Bertilson has received personal compensation in the range of $500-$4,999 for serving as a teacher with Region Stockholm. Dr. Ghatan has nothing to disclose. Dr. Bragée has nothing to disclose. Dr. Polo has nothing to disclose.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2024
    Anna H, Kitty, Ron and 18 others like this.
  2. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can't tell much from the abstract. Reading between the lines I'm guessing the cohort may just have been regular patients coming through their clinic. Which raises the question if they then treated those they found deficient in vasopressin with vasopressin, and to what effect.

Curiously, for me this phenomenon is very specific to early-phase PEM:
    sudden unexplained thirst = entering mild PEM
    sudden unexplained thirst + suddenly peeing like a horse every half hour = entering bad PEM

Anna H, mango, Kitty and 10 others like this.
  3. hotblack

hotblack Established Member

If plasma osmolality changes wouldn’t this potentially have all sorts of effects on other chemical processes throughout the body?

Ravn, Kitty, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  4. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

My first question: is a plasma osmolality above 292 abnormal after overnight fasting and a ten hour fluid deprivation? As far as I can see, plasma osmolality is high first thing in the morning, and I'm not sure that finding that over half the participants had high plasma osmolality at that time is unusual.

But, it does seem that the pairing of that with low urine osmolality is odd. I think the urine should also have been concentrated.One reference I found suggest that the morning urine concentration after a night of no water intake should be greater than 850. That two thirds of the participants had urine osmolalities of less than 750 does seem noteworthy.

Yes, I would have thought so.

Ravn, Kitty, Slamdancin and 5 others like this.
  5. Hutan

I have noticed something similar - a fluid buildup, general swelling, visibly puffy face leading into PEM, and then losing that water volume is part of the resolution of the PEM. I have seen pictures of other people in PEM and also my son - they also look puffy in the face, swollen around the eyes. I think this is something that could probably be measured.

Wyva, Ravn, Kitty and 8 others like this.
  6. Hutan

That's pretty remarkable. We need this finding replicated.

I found a reference saying that vasopressin levels are naturally lowest in young women, so perhaps that is relevant to sex and age differences in the prevalence of orthostatic intolerance?

The Biology of Vasopressin, 2021 has background information

Ravn, Kitty, hotblack and 3 others like this.
  7. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I produced too much urine from before 2000, and benefited greatly from desmopressin. Then, recently, a while after having had some dental work including the extraction of an infected tooth, I stopped needing it.

My blood pressure also normalised, when I had been taking the beta blocker Nebivolol since 2014, and an ACE inhibitor before that.

I am almost 71, and have had ME since about 1995. No medication needed now except to help me sleep!

https://www.s4me.info/threads/diarrhoea-caused-by-too-much-desmopressin.36981/#post-521077

Last edited: Apr 15, 2024
    Anna H, Ravn, Hutan and 6 others like this.
  8. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Has anyone been able to access the actual poster presentation? It doesn't seem accessible yet through the Berkeley library.

Ravn, Hutan and Kitty like this.
  9. hotblack

I’ve had periods where the peeing a lot is an early phase stage, then my body suddenly decides it needs to catch up and rehydrate and after that other PEM stuff. And periods where I’ve been stuck in that state for a prolonged time, generally when very bad.

MeSci, Ravn, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  10. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

11. hotblack

Thanks, that’s the sort of thing I was thinking. My biology knowledge is poor and chemistry/physics better but rusty.

But if there’s changes to how things cross the cell membrane one can imagine how various systems would get upset and behave in odd ways.

As others say, interesting paper, lots of questions.

Ravn, Hutan and Kitty like this.
  12. Slamdancin

Slamdancin Established Member

Could it be helpful to take some salt first thing in the morning?

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2211124721001807

Highlights

• High dietary salt increases the osmoresponsiveness of vasopressin neurons in vivo

• Salt loading and AngII-salt both increase the mEPSC amplitude in vasopressin neurons

• AngII-salt increases glutamate release probability and overall network excitation

• Salt loading increases stiffness and intrinsic osmosensitivity of vasopressin neurons

Anna H and Ravn like this.
  13. Slamdancin

Slamdancin Established Member

Anna H and Ravn like this.
  14. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

With SARS-CoV-2 being associated with a loss of sense of smell and taste could a virus cause a loss of sense of thirst?
    Could this be anything to do with what's being discussed in this paper?
    Some pwME say they have been helped with IV saline infusions though Jonathan Edwards says just drinking water should have the same effect.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2024
    Ravn likes this.
  15. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I drink cold water which is what some cardiologist recommend.

Ravn likes this.
  16. Hutan

I'm not sure that people with ME/CFS all pee frequently all the time and typically with low urine solute concentrations, which is what I would have expected if low vasopressin was a biomarker. I have seen Diabete Insipidus mentioned in connection with ME/CFS quite a bit, but I'm not sure that it fits.

Arginine Vasopressin Disorder (Diabetes Insipidus), 2024
    I wonder if some medications that are favoured by the clinic might have caused this result? The finding of reduced vasopressin can easily be tested, and I hope it will be.

I thought the note in the 2024 paper on Arginine Vasopressin disorder I linked about severe ischemia resulting in reduced vasopressin release was interesting, given my symptom tracking suggesting times of high shock index are associated with high levels of symptoms/PEM.

hotblack, Anna H, Ravn and 3 others like this.