1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

low pressure in brain

Discussion in 'Neurological/cognitive/vision' started by Shinygleamy, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Shinygleamy

Shinygleamy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They put a dye in near the end of my scan. So mine would have been with contrast. I'm really wondering now, what they actually saw on my scan

lunarainbows likes this.
  2. Shinygleamy

Hi all, just want to update you on my situation. Talked to the neurologist at ninewells, dundee, yesterday, a lovely lady who started the conversation asking if I'd seen the guardian article about the decode me project and apologising for bringing it up (blooming heck!:angel:)she was genuinely interested in the study. She went on to explain that she thinks I have spontanious intercranial hypotension. The reason being that the backs of my eyes, instead of bulging in hypertension, were being sucked in the other direction on the scan, due to low spinal fluid. They are going to do another mri of my spine to see if i have a fistula causing a fluid leak. All in all, this is a very odd year.

Wonko, Simbindi, Starlight and 6 others like this.
  3. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow what a wonderful neurologist! So glad it went well for you and you have some more idea about what the low pressure meant :)

Wonko, Simbindi, Trish and 2 others like this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That now makes sense, although I was taught that inversion of the optic disc - so called cupping - was chiefly a sign of glaucoma. This may be something a bit different.

FMMM1, Wonko, Simbindi and 2 others like this.
  5. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry to hijack this thread - but @Jonathan Edwards, do you know what “incidental bilateral proptosis” could mean on an MRI? I had that in mine - on an MRI without contrast. I looked it up & it seemed to be related to eyes and thyroid - but my thyroid antibodies were normal (I asked my GP to test me, after sending them the MRI results). Is that or could it be related to pressure in the brain or does it need any other investigation, or is it just a normal finding? (Edit: also one doctor who shone a light in my eyes said I had “tilted discs”, don’t know if that’s anything to do with this).

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    Shinygleamy likes this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wonko, Shinygleamy and lunarainbows like this.
  7. Shinygleamy

I found a very good csf leaks association website based in the UK. They list one of the signs of a csf leak as the brain slumping into the spinal canal. So they may also have seen that on the scan but may not have wanted to freak me out.