Long-term analysis of a psychoeducational course on university students’ mental well-being, 2024, Hobbs et al

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by JohnTheJack, Mar 14, 2024.

1. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

Long-term analysis of a psychoeducational course on university students’ mental well-being
    Catherine Hobbs, Sarah Jelbert, Laurie R. Santos & Bruce Hood

Abstract
    Although many higher educational institute (HEI) psychoeducational courses teaching positive psychology interventions report benefits to mental well-being upon completion, they have not typically addressed whether such beneficial effects are sustained long-term beyond the period of the courses.

Here, we report a pre-registered follow-up of 228 undergraduate students, from a variety of disciplines, who took a positive psychology course 1 or 2 years previously.

Overall, group analysis revealed that students who had taken the course did not continue to show the originally reported benefits at follow-up. Students who had taken the course scored higher on mental well-being than other students tested using a university-wide survey, but they were also higher at baseline 1–2 years earlier indicating a sampling bias.

An exploratory analysis, however, revealed that 115 students (51% of the group) who had continued to practice the recommended activities taught during the course maintained their increased mental well-being over the period of follow-up.

We therefore suggest that continued engagement is a key factor in sustaining the long-term benefits of positive psychology courses. Implementation of such courses should therefore include provision and mechanisms for maintaining future student engagement.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10734-024-01202-4

RedFox, Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  2. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Alternatively, it could mean that people who have the personality traits that lets them continue following such methods fill out the questionnaires in a manner favourable to the psychologists' desires.

SNT Gatchaman, rvallee, Sean and 4 others like this.
  3. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

Yes, exactly.

alktipping likes this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Those are very generic and common things. They don't have much to do with "the science of happiness" and there is no indication that anyone is doing any of those things because of some class from years ago and not for other reasons or motivations, especially for being so common.

And I don't know about the folks who make this stuff up but I don't need some fancy highly-paid grifter, or any science for that matter, to be kind. Or do (or is it du?) kindness, whatever the hell they even mean by that here. Some people are just kind by nature, and I would bet it's actually above 11%. Though sadly not that much higher.

This is all the same crap as the 'power posing' fad from a few years ago. It's the same grift that thousands of motivational speakers and very expensive coaches have been selling for decades and that you can more or less find for, oh, say, $10, by buying The Secret, or any generic self-help book written by Who the hell cares?

Also: only 21% exercise? My GOD! They must be wracked by chronic illness and crippled by fatigue and barely able to go on with their daily activities. At least according to the, uh, "science" of... I don't even know what to call this anymore... mind-body-spiritual-grifting?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2024
    JohnTheJack and SNT Gatchaman like this.