1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Long covid outcomes at one year after mild SARS-CoV-2 infection: nationwide cohort study 2023, Mizrahi et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Sly Saint, Jan 12, 2023.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract
    Objectives To determine the clinical sequelae of long covid for a year after infection in patients with mild disease and to evaluate its association with age, sex, SARS-CoV-2 variants, and vaccination status.

Design Retrospective nationwide cohort study.

Setting Electronic medical records from an Israeli nationwide healthcare organisation.

Population 1 913 234 Maccabi Healthcare Services members of all ages who did a polymerase chain reaction test for SARS-CoV-2 between 1 March 2020 and 1 October 2021.

Main outcome measures Risk of an evidence based list of 70 reported long covid outcomes in unvaccinated patients infected with SARS-CoV-2 matched to uninfected people, adjusted for age and sex and stratified by SARS-CoV-2 variants, and risk in patients with a breakthrough SARS-CoV-2 infection compared with unvaccinated infected controls. Risks were compared using hazard ratios and risk differences per 10 000 patients measured during the early (30-180 days) and late (180-360 days) time periods after infection.

Results Covid-19 infection was significantly associated with increased risks in early and late periods for anosmia and dysgeusia (hazard ratio 4.59 (95% confidence interval 3.63 to 5.80), risk difference 19.6 (95% confidence interval 16.9 to 22.4) in early period; 2.96 (2.29 to 3.82), 11.0 (8.5 to 13.6) in late period), cognitive impairment (1.85 (1.58 to 2.17), 12.8, (9.6 to 16.1); 1.69 (1.45 to 1.96), 13.3 (9.4 to 17.3)), dyspnoea (1.79 (1.68 to 1.90), 85.7 (76.9 to 94.5); 1.30 (1.22 to 1.38), 35.4 (26.3 to 44.6)), weakness (1.78 (1.69 to 1.88), 108.5, 98.4 to 118.6; 1.30 (1.22 to 1.37), 50.2 (39.4 to 61.1)), and palpitations (1.49 (1.35 to 1.64), 22.1 (16.8 to 27.4); 1.16 (1.05 to 1.27), 8.3 (2.4 to 14.1)) and with significant but lower excess risk for streptococcal tonsillitis and dizziness. Hair loss, chest pain, cough, myalgia, and respiratory disorders were significantly increased only during the early phase. Male and female patients showed minor differences, and children had fewer outcomes than adults during the early phase of covid-19, which mostly resolved in the late period. Findings remained consistent across SARS-CoV-2 variants. Vaccinated patients with a breakthrough SARS-CoV-2 infection had a lower risk for dyspnoea and similar risk for other outcomes compared with unvaccinated infected patients.

Conclusions This nationwide study suggests that patients with mild covid-19 are at risk for a small number of health outcomes, most of which are resolved within a year from diagnosis.

https://www.bmj.com/content/380/bmj-2022-072529

Hutan, Simone, ahimsa and 7 others like this.
  2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

article:
    Long Covid resolves within year for many with mild Covid, study says

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/01/11/health/long-covid-symptoms-study-wellness/index.html

Hutan, oldtimer, Dolphin and 6 others like this.
  3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The M.E doctor I saw told me based on his 20- yrs experience that PVFS often resolves for most people after 2-3 years.

5. Dolphin

6. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The CNN article about this study (https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/11/health/long-covid-symptoms-study-wellness/index.html ) includes a section talking about the limitations of the study.

7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's safe to say that we literally exist in different universes than physicians work in, and that they can simply lie with impunity and no one else but us will care.

Most long COVID symptoms subside within a year of mild infection: Study
    https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinical/most-long-covid-symptoms-subside-within-a-year-of

‘It shouldn’t be interpreted that we should downplay the significant post-COVID morbidity and symptoms we [are] and will be seeing – just like the other long-term chronic fatigue, vasculitis, autoimmune diseases that GPs have been managing as well over the years,’ Dr McCroary said.
    ‘GPs are the best group to be managing and leading the decision-making moving forward as we are the ones with experience in post-viral syndromes and chronic disease, and with the scale we will be doing most of the work,’ he said.
    ‘I prefer “post-COVID symptoms”, just like we have dealt with “post-viral syndromes” with influenza and glandular fever … that we have been managing well in general practice for decades,’ he said.​

Again, they literally cannot tell the difference between complete failure and success, or don't care, or can't be bothered to do anything but lie about it. Medicine has completely failed us, and they think they're doing great. They have no treatments, cannot diagnose reliably, are always complaining about how they don't know what to do, but they think they know what to do well enough to not bother any further. It's not even taught in medical school, and somehow they think they're doing great.

If you don't count the patients, and they sure don't, then things are going great. And that's why they're not counting anything, even praise studies doing exactly that, the study did not include anything specific about post-infectious chronic illness.

Hutan, oldtimer, Ariel and 2 others like this.
  8. Dolphin

ahimsa, Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  9. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This has been common wisdom for at least two and a half decades. Outliers can resolve up to 5 years. However its not a proven thing that LC, and especially ME, are just PVFS. This hang-up on fatigue is part of the issue. Other things like PEM are very important. How many with both LC and PEM resolve within one year?

What has been long recognized is that most people with ME who recover do so in the first year. It would be surprising if many with LC did not recover in the first year.

Peter Trewhitt and oldtimer like this.
  10. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can PVFS be defined to include PEM - at least the subset of symptom exacerbation that is essentially confined to fatigue or things that might look like fatigue? Perhaps where orthostatic intolerance and cognitive dysfunction are misattributed and rolled into "fatigue" (i.e. "too tired to stand up or think straight"). Or is PVFS purely fatigue without any of the non-fatigue symptoms of ME/CFS?

Peter Trewhitt and oldtimer like this.
  11. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My understanding is PVFS does include other symptoms, including a post viral cough. The list is short though, or at least any I have read, and I have not read anything about PEM or OI that I recall. However those who want to stretch a definition will possibly come up with reasons. I mean they have been somewhat getting away with calling ME=CFS, and CFS=CF, for decades.