1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Long Covid in the media and social media 2023

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by rvallee, Jan 1, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

BBC journalist Lucy Adams talks about her experiences with Long Covid, and Alan Carson: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-65058119

She said: "He was the first person who could explain in a way that I understood what was happening to me and how the communication systems between my brain and other organs in my body had gone awry."

It could be that Carson really had accurate knowledge to share with Adams, but also it could be that she just valued having what seems to be a plausible narrative through which to understand her illness. It's interesting to read her perspective, though there's not a lot of detail here.

Hopefully Adams keeps improving and is able to go on to recover.

Back when Covid started and there were early speculations about post-covid symptoms, I remember thinking this could lead to a large number of people who were ill for a while and yet would naturally go on to recover from their symptoms, with many patients attaching to different narratives for explaining why they were improving. We can also see patients who are not improving finding the idea of understanding their health appealing in a way that can make room for poorly supported beliefs.

Some info on Bridie O'Dowd's mindfulness approach is linked to here: https://www.s4me.info/threads/“i-need-to-start-listening-to-what-my-body-is-telling-me-”-does-mindfulness-based-cognitive-therapy-help-people-with-cfs-bridie-odowd-july-2020.15830/

Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
    Hutan, Peter Trewhitt, RedFox and 3 others like this.
  2. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

‘There’s no end in sight’: How COVID-19 changed a Utah teacher’s life (Deseret News is a newspaper published by the Mormons - see Wikipedia).

Long article describing disease onset for a 36 yo teacher and athlete. It reads as if athletic over-exertion during the convalescent period accelerated his disease progression.

Hutan, Peter Trewhitt, RedFox and 4 others like this.
  3. Charles B.

Charles B. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder what the tried and tested rehabilitative processes Alan Carson feels strongly about? How the connection between brain and body have gone awry?

Why do patients keep falling for this garbage?

Hutan, EzzieD, Sean and 11 others like this.
  4. Adam pwme

Adam pwme Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan, EzzieD, Sean and 5 others like this.
  5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Because he tells them it’s not in their heads

ukxmrv, Hutan, Sean and 11 others like this.
  6. Charles B.

But isn’t it so obvious that’s what he means? It’s just a more discursive way of reaching the same conclusion

Hutan, EzzieD, Sean and 4 others like this.
  7. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I think at least for a while they will be so grateful for dealing with someone who doesn’t roll their eyes so he gets away with them wanting to believe him

Hutan, EzzieD, Amw66 and 11 others like this.
  8. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is an article about the lack of recognition and support for people with LC in Australia. There's no mention of ME/CFS although 'chronic fatigue' is listed as a symptom.

Hutan, EzzieD, Dakota15 and 10 others like this.
  9. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't think it's so obvious. People are vulnerable and sick and easily manipulated. They don't know all of this. All you need to do is say you believe them and not be dismissive. The psychological relief does the work.

Hutan, EzzieD, Sly Saint and 12 others like this.
  10. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A dude pushing the mythical psychological conversion disorder is being quoted in news media saying the exact opposite of what he's doing. Hard to fault people for falling for it, we've been sold out completely to the quack industry.

It looks like the bold new frontier, the people selling and marketing the psychosomatic belief system are going around saying the opposite of what they're doing, because the Big lie is part of the ideology. No, it's all "mysterious" and only they have the secrets. Trust them, they're experts.

It's just following the same trend as post-truth politics, there is no pretense anymore, it doesn't even matter. They can simply openly lie about everything they do and it's all accepted because it achieves an end.

The golden age of psychosomatic pseudoscience, happening at the same time as the golden age of medical disinformation and misinformation. Not a coincidence. Not even a little.

Amw66, Sean, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  11. V.R.T.

V.R.T. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Indeed. I didn't try to GET myself until a sympathetic (as opposed to dismissive) GP said he believed me but convinced me my symptoms were probably related to depression. I know I'm a broken record on this but it utterly ruined my life. People like me are living monuments to the danger of Carson's approach.

ukxmrv, Hutan, EzzieD and 15 others like this.
  12. Adam pwme

Hutan, EzzieD, Dakota15 and 8 others like this.
  13. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am not aware that there is any knowledge to share. I have heard reports like this from social contacts. Carson is clearly very good at playing the listening role. But several months later the emptiness and hypocrisy of it tend to dawn. For those who were going to get better he will score well and maybe have eased the burden along the road to recovery.

ukxmrv, Hutan, EzzieD and 14 others like this.
  14. Charles B.

Professor Edwards, what do you think the British medical community makes of Carson’s approach to Long Covid? Is he an immensely respected physician in this space? Do colleagues turn to him? It seems he purports to know what causes these persistent symptoms, based on this latest article

Hutan, Michelle, EzzieD and 7 others like this.
  15. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had never heard of him until I joined this forum and saw his Tweets.
    I suspect the vast majority of physicians have never heard of him.
    Amongst BPS enthusiasts he may be well enough known, but he may just be someone who Tweets support for the big showmen - I don't know.

16. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Healing clinics are charging up to £280 to rid Long Covid sufferers of their lingering symptoms through 'nonsensical' counselling sessions

Brits with Long Covid are being charged up £280 for 'counselling' sessions which promise to 'remove' their symptoms, MailOnline can reveal.

The In the Clear clinics, which offer an alternative therapy called the Boulderstone Technique, operate out of Brighton, Tunbridge Wells, Earl's Court and Birchwood.

The 'Boulderstone Technique' — invented by a math teacher-cum-alternative healer — claims to draw on 'ancient knowledge' to unblock 'inner tension' which stops the flow of the body's energy.

Apart from Long Covid, the clinics also claim to be able to beat allergies.

They do this by holding the customers head as they recline on a treatment couch. Then the customer repeatedly touches a glass vial containing the allergen until they become 'at peace' with it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...s-charging-280-help-Long-Covid-sufferers.html

livinglighter, Hutan, EzzieD and 11 others like this.
  17. Adam pwme

18. Adam pwme

19. Adam pwme

20. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's encouraging that doctors are becoming more aware of PEM and that doctors like here are getting coverage and explicitly saying LC isn't a psychological condition.
    Here's a transcription.

Binita Kane: Yeah, and I think to understand why we're in this situation, you always need to look back at the history of post-viral illness. So, illness post-viruses is not new: It's been around for decades. We've got a condition called ME/CFS, which has affected children for decades. The challenge has been that it's a very, very neglected area of research.

And I, as a doctor--I'm a consultant respiratory physician--I've been a doctor for over 20 years, and I never got told anything about it at any point. And we still don't teach people about it. And there's been a real derath of research as well. And so pretty much every I've learned about post-viral illnesses has been in the last couple of years. There's this real knowledge gap between the research that's out there and what people in clinical practical know and understand.

And I think, at the same time, there has been this sort of labeling of these conditions--It's almost psychological over the years. So therefore, a lot of the services that have supported children with ME have really just been therapy-based and talking-based and physio-based.

But what we know now is that some of those treatments and therapies that have been advocated in the past, like exercising and pushing people to exercise, can actually be really, really, very harmful. So in ME, that's all been taken out of the guidelines. And long Covid will be part of the same spectrum. There are definitely some differences. And so, I think the reason people are struggling is because there's just been this real silence.

And now, suddenly, we've got millions of people around the world who've got this post-viral illnesses, and there's been a massive explosion in the research. Maybe not so much in children, definitely in adults. We're starting to understand a lot more about it. And it definitely isn't a psychological illness, and I want to just say that very specifically.

Yes, of course psychology can play a part in any chronic disease or any chronic illness, and it's an important thing to address, but there are physiological and medical things going on at the root of this that we really need to understand if we're gonna treat it properly.

-----
    Stacy Poole: ...the are. And Kat asks, "What is the best way to deal with post-exertional malaise, everybody's dreaded (sigh) symptom of long Covid?"

Binita Kane: So, just for those who don't know, PEM or post-exertional malaise (also known as post-exertional symptom exacerbation or PESE) is kind of the hallmark of long Covid and again, it's the hallmark of illness like ME/CFS.

The way I try and explain this to other people is that--imagine the child's energy levels are like a phone battery. So, a healthy child will wake up with 100% charge after sleep. Someone with ME or someone with long Covid might wake up one 50% or 20%, depending on how severe they are.

And then, absolutely everything they do during the day zaps their energy, like if you've got all your apps running on the phone. And if you don't, then, stop and recharge the energy levels regularly during the day, the battery can run out and that can cause a crash. And you can actually accumulate an energy debt as well, so it could be that they manage something, and then 24, 48 hours later, they have a big crash.

And so energy management is like a really important part of managing long Covid. And I think what I hadn't appreciated or realized is that the thinking and the cognitive exertion can be just as disabling as the physical. So even watching television when my daughter was at her worst--things that you think would be relaxing--were draining her energy. And actually, I think the therapy-led services in the NHS, this is the one bit that they really can help with. If they're a good service, you really understand PEM and understand pacing, which most of them do. That's where I think the NHS clinics can really come into their own to help manage the symptoms.

Edit: I see a moderator edited this to break up the long paragraphs. I'll keep paragraph sizes manageable in the future. I also went back and fixed my recent transcripts.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
    Kalliope, Missense, EzzieD and 9 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.