1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinion Long COVID: a new word for naming fibromyalgia?, 2023, Xavier Mariette

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by SNT Gatchaman, Nov 6, 2023.

1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Long COVID: a new word for naming fibromyalgia?
    Xavier Mariette

Long COVID is the name given to a syndrome comprising a wide variety of symptoms persisting more than 3 months after acute benign COVID-19, with a prevalence ranging from 10 to 80%. Symptoms are very close to fibromyalgia.

Several studies showed that long COVID prevalence was much higher after the first wave of the pandemics and was associated to the fact of thinking having had COVID rather than having had really COVID. Thus, it was the stress of the first wave with the lockdown and not the consequences of the infection that probably induced this high frequency of long COVID. Numbers of studies tried to find objective biological abnormalities for explaining long COVID but none of them could be replicated and convincing.

The concept of long COVID seems to be a repetition of history of medicine, in which the doctors and the society gave different names to fibromyalgia with the objective of trying to highlight the fact that fibromyalgia could be a somatic disease with a well understood pathophysiology and to avoid to focus on the psychosomatic aspects of the disease. In conclusion, “to name is to soothe” as said by Roland Barthes. However, “Naming things wrongly adds to the world's unhappiness” was saying Albert Camus.

Thus, the term of long COVID, which suggests viral persistence of impaired immune response to the virus, is unappropriated and should be replaced by fibromyalgia-like post-COVID syndrome. Research on the psychosomatic and somatic mechanisms involved in these fibromyalgia-like post-viral syndromes must be encouraged.

Link | Paywall (Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases)

livinglighter, Hutan, shak8 and 3 others like this.
  2. SNT Gatchaman

3. SNT Gatchaman

shak8, Ash, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

What a bizarre article.

livinglighter, shak8, Mij and 13 others like this.
  5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

shak8, Ash, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  6. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yep, didn't find anything yet, call of the search.

shak8, rvallee, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  7. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Invoking Roland Barthes and Camus in adjacent sentences, and Xavier Mariette MD is not even a psychiatrist?

So, I suspect that he himself must be suffering from Long Covid which is provoking this confusion of assertions. Which French writer should I quote about that denial?

alktipping, Peter Trewhitt and Hutan like this.
  8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Written on the back of a packet of Gauloises

alktipping, Ash, Arnie Pye and 6 others like this.
  9. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Would an example of naming things wrongly be when people are assumed to not have had Covid-19 when they can't provide evidence of having had a positive test? Or perhaps setting the bar for the definition of Long Covid so low that nearly everyone qualifies as having it? Or perhaps labelling someone as psychosomatic because there is not yet evidence of 'objective biological disease'?

This paper makes me think of those delicate flowers in the US military who have increased risk of Long Covid on subsequent infections.
    nature medicine - Postacute sequelae of COVID-19 at 2 years, 2023, Bowe, Xie, Al-Aly
    So, many of the US military veterans in this study had survived war and did not develop fibromyalgia or GWI or whatever. And they had a first bout of Covid-19, perhaps even multiple bouts of it, without developing fibromyalgia or Long Covid or whatever. Instead, despite whatever level of fear they had about lockdowns and pandemics, they managed to recover. But, even with the knowledge that they had had the disease and recovered, somehow these military veterans were so frightened when they got the disease another time that they curled up in a corner and developed Long Covid?

Dear M. Mariette,
    “The evil that is in the world almost always comes from ignorance, and good intentions may do as much harm as malevolence if they lack understanding.”
    ― Albert Camus

Last edited: Nov 7, 2023
    Arnie Pye, alktipping, Ash and 15 others like this.
  10. NelliePledge

That quote :emoji_fire:

11. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's just how professionals do it: when it's hard and you don't find it easily, give up.

Oh, wait, the opposite of that. Uh.

alktipping, Ash, Missense and 5 others like this.
  12. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mariette is a well known rheumatologist who has contributed usefully to the literature on rheumatoid disease and has taken a particular interest in B cell depletion and practical issues around antibody levels.

It is disappointing to see him author this.

Maybe I should look in to submitting a reply to Annals of Rheumatic Diseases.

ItsMERJD, alktipping, Ash and 18 others like this.
  13. cassava7

cassava7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If you pen a response, you may be interested in pointing Prof Mariette to the new French official report on long Covid and post-infectious syndromes that I have tried to briefly summarize here: https://www.s4me.info/threads/news-from-france.18119/page-4#post-502432

14. Jonathan Edwards

I cannot find it on the College Library electronic access.
    It does not appear in the table of contents for November.
    If I search on Mariette it comes up but 'page not found'.

shak8, alktipping, Ash and 3 others like this.
  15. Trish

shak8, alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  16. Jonathan Edwards

The abstract is visible, yes, but I am unable to access a full paper.

17. Trish

I guess you could write to him and ask for a copy. His contact details are given with the abstract:
    1. Correspondence to Professor Xavier Mariette, Rheumatology Department, Université Paris-Saclay, Hôpital Bicêtre, 78 Avenue du Général Leclerc, Le Kremlin Bicêtre, 94270, France; xavier.mariette@aphp.fr

18. NelliePledge

19. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:sick:

shak8, alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  20. SNT Gatchaman

I've sent it to you on chat.

EzzieD, alktipping, Trish and 5 others like this.