1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Long-awaited cystic fibrosis drug could turn deadly disease into a manageable condition

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Jaybee00, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Binkie4, Joh, Chezboo and 6 others like this.
  2. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...094578-19b8-11e5-93b7-5eddc056ad8a_story.html

This is the article that is linked to in the above article.... these guys were able to raise a ton of money for a relatively rare disease.

But note:

3. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Even philanthropy isn't philanthropy anymore. It used to be an act that had no financial reward. Now here it simply means high risk-high reward.

4. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We need philanthropists and. Innovation in our field. A few weeks ago bbc covered a story where scientists had agreed to step in and create a unique drug for a single terriblY affected child. She had gene defects I think and They acted to help her and create a bespoke drug to correct her abnormality. Obviously we can’t all get that but this and the Ebola vaccine speed up really made me feel that as well as resources you need that drive to solve something fast , which I’m sure in real life is being applied to many areas , just not ours. I get frustrated when people in our community are like I used to be and think One study mean we are approaching a cure, we are battling to get on the same running track as other illness, then we have to run and win the actual race.

bobbler likes this.
  5. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Article in The Atlantic: The Cystic-Fibrosis Breakthrough That Changed Everything (archive)

RedFox, bobbler, Sam Carter and 4 others like this.
  6. Murph

Murph Established Member (Voting Rights)

I really loved this article.

I did a bunch of reading on how they developed the cure. It's worth understanding what pathways to success look like.

1. Success came when they stopped looking for a solution to the most upstream factor: the genetic defect. And started focussing on helping the affected proteins work properly.

2. Then the key thing they had was a benchtop model. Cells they could run drugs on. The same approach was necessary to find a cure for AIDS and I think the reason we are suffering so much is that we don't have one. There's an obvious reason why: we don't understand the key disease processes in mecfs. Until we do we can't create an in vitro model with any confidence.

We can create low-confidence models though, like the nano-needle, or maybe rbc deformability models, or mice with high levels of wasf3 (mice are lower throughput than cells in vitro though). There are other mouse models of mecfs in development by Simmaron Research.

Research on people is just awfully expensive and slow and you really only want to do it at the end, when you're testing drugs you're already hopeful will work. Doing it to find the disease mechanism is a pain. The more time we spend developing models, the better. Even if they're crappy I bet we learn something

3. Reading about cystic fibrosis I began to wonder if their chloride channel problems could be similar in any way to our hypothesised calcium channel problems. I'm well aware this section is a stretch! Their protein folding problem is genetic. Could we have one that is acquired? There is that one study that found high sodium in leg muscles in mecfs. People with CF leak salt like crazy and have to eat more salt. Which reminds me of POTS...

I don't know enough of the biology to rule anything in or out but there's indications that people with CF feel extremely freaking tired. Some of the comments at this next link could easily have been taken from an mecfs forum.

https://cystic-fibrosis.com/living/cf-chronic-fatigue

Of course nobody is going to bother looking for more reasons for people with cystic fibrosis to feel tired. The lung mucus thing appears enough. But it's possible the chlorine channel problem causes fatigue via other pathways that are also important in mecfs? You couldn't rule it out. And Trikafta seems to fix that as the next claim shows.

It is probably excessively optimistic but I wonder how a person with mecfs might feel if they took trikafta. I doubt anyone with both has ever got an mecfs diagnosis because the CF diagnosis would appear sufficient to explain anything that's wrong with them. That means nobody who takes this drug will ever identify as a pwme and we won't find out what it does in me/cfs, at least until the patent expires.

4. The last thing to note is that this drug is a combination therapy and by adding 3 active components together they got really good results, far better than using only two active components. This willingness to combine drugs appears to be innovative, perhaps a spillover from approaches to chemotherapy in cancer?

It suggests possible new approaches in mecfs where we do have a short list of drugs that seem barely okay. Could combining them turn them into powerful forces for good? There's the idea of TUDCA + sodium phenylbutyrate that Hwang is planning to test. I wonder what else we could chuck in the mix!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2024
    RedFox, Sam Carter, Helene and 4 others like this.