Local anaesthetic for ingrown toenail

Discussion in 'Other specific illnesses' started by Sarah94, Dec 28, 2022.

1. Haveyoutriedyoga

Haveyoutriedyoga Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What a turn up for the books!

2. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh Sarah, I thought you were playing a joke and that you healed with CBT :rofl:

Glad it's fine now.

3. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Nah, my Cursed Bloody Toe just randomly got better I’m very grateful.

alktipping, Mij, lunarainbows and 3 others like this.
  4. SunnyK

SunnyK Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sarah94, I'm so glad that you didn't need ingrown-toenail surgery. I think how local anesthetic injections feel depends so much upon the location of the injection (more painful in the mouth than, say, in the arm--I just had to have a tongue biopsy a few weeks ago, and the injections into my tongue were more painful but still not that bad), the person's pain tolerance, anticipation of pain, etc. Ever since I first started having to deal with needles regularly as a little girl, I learned not to watch the needle going in--as an adult with no more fear of needles (except IVs--my veins are so bad that I'd rather have a bone-marrow aspiration than an IV any day of the week), I tried once looking at a phlebotomist as she was inserting the needle and it was perhaps a tiny bit more painful? However, I give myself injections every week (used to be into my thigh and into my stomach, now just into my stomach) and have to look, obviously, for that, and it's fine.

I will say that, as a child who was terrified of needles when I first became ill, it took me a while to get to the point where needles no longer freaked me out. I guess it's like phobia treatment--the more exposure, the less you fear. Not that I'm suggesting you buy needles and stick yourself regularly just to get that exposure.