1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Llewellyn King: "Congress to Hear From an Army of Very Sick Petitioners"

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Webdog, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

http://www.insidesources.com/congress-hear-army-sick-petitioners/

2. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good article.

3. Webdog

4. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I expect they will be told we support you and will get right on that, then make token moves or promptly forget :emoji_sob:
    Right now is not the time to get results, the party in power believes that people with disabilities are lazy, entitled and worse.
    That said if this is an annual event then thats good, keep reminding them and a better party in power in future is more likely to get positive results.

5. Yessica

Yessica Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you @Webdog for sharing those. And a big thank you to Llewellyn King!

I'm going to pass it on to people that I'd like for them to know more about ME. It's perfect for what I need. It's concise, covers several points and is very well written.

6. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Actually I think it is important to lobby legislators regardless of which party is in power.

We need Senator Foghorn Leghorn going to the NIH Budget review meeting and saying, "Now Francis, I see y'all only got $5 million going to this ME/cfs disease thing. Now, I've been gettin' an earful from my constituents telling me that this is some kind of horrific disease that affects a couple of million Americans, and that it needs to be addressed, pronto! So why don't we just bump up that number a bit?"

"Yes sir! We could easily spend $X million on it this year, Senator, and we've been thinking of establishing a center of excellence in your home state!"

"I like the way you think, Son. I'm sure we can find the money you need somewhere in this budget. Why don't you knock off all those damn telephone surveys in Wichita, Kansas. I swear, I didn't get but three lousy votes in Wichita when I ran for President last year!"

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  7. Alvin

I agree, i am just saying right now don't be surprised if it falls flat and don't stop trying if it does.

8. Webdog

Perhaps. But I've been sick since the Carter administration, and this is the first time in my life I've had real hope for some improvement.

petrichor likes this.
  9. Alvin

I understand, i think my second reply wrapped up my point better, its a good idea to petition congress but right now the party in power believes in taking healthcare away (and tried unsuccessfully) because people with disabilities are contemptible so don't be surprised if you get no traction but tomorrow is a new day, try today but if you hit a wall a better party in power in the future may be more receptive.