1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Live vaccines and a wider effect

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Graham, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Graham

Graham Senior Member (Voting Rights)

pteropus, MEMarge, Hutan and 12 others like this.
  2. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

That is very interesting.

I remember reading of another similar survey in NY city that showed how infections and rates of mortality went down for the three years following measles vaccination.

3. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Adjuvent effect ? May be particularly important for vaccines which provide longer term protection and have a higher load - tetanus / HPV etc

Status of female immune system function in childhood/ adolescence? Do we simply assume that it' s only in pregnancy that it modifies? ( Apologies in advance, i know very little about immune system parameters )

Interesting . It does seem weird that this has not been considered before - it seems basic if it has been observed ...

4. Hip

Hip Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Case in point was a study of live versus killed poliovirus vaccine. It was found those who were given the live vaccine had a 3 times lower rate of T1D, compared to those given the killed vaccine. It is hypothesized that the live vaccine provides stronger cross-protection against coxsackievirus B4, a virus linked to triggering T1D.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  5. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've spent some time trying to uncover how the DTP results may be spurious - different travelling patterns of parents, perhaps more likely to have deaths recorded due to increased health system participation. But the results have appeared in multiple regions and even in a randomised study, so I am starting to think maybe there is an issue with DTP specifically.

https://www.s4me.info/threads/live-vaccines-and-a-wider-effect.7672/reply?quote=135833

There does not seem to be consistent evidence that the OPV protects against T1D. Most studies have null rate ratios. for example:
    https://ebn.bmj.com/content/ebnurs/7/4/121.full.pdf

In any case, given that a majority of polio cases around the world are now caused by vaccine-associated strains, I doubt we're going to start using OPV again.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    pteropus and andypants like this.