1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Lithium - an anecdotal report of improvement

Discussion in 'Other treatments' started by James Morris-Lent, May 2, 2018.

1. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This was in my local paper:
    https://www.seattletimes.com/life/wellness/low-dose-lithium-conquered-chronic-fatigue/

2. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I read somewhere that lithium (as lithium orotate) helps get B12 into the cells. This would probably increase energy.

3. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's also possible he was misdiagnosed and actually had bipolar disorder. My best friend has it, and sometimes our symptoms appear very similar. When he has his depressive phases, he can't do anything and feels incredible fatigue. Then when it passes, he rushes to get everything done like a person with ME might if they hadn't learned about pacing.

Obviously, we can't assume, but there's a problem with assuming that because it worked for one person it'll work for others.

There's lots about lithium on Phoenix Rising. I'm sure it may help some people, but it's also risky if not monitored.

Keebird, Hutan, Squeezy and 9 others like this.
  4. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I somehow, somewhere got the impression lithium is not absolutely harmless...Does anybody know more?

5. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In the 1990s, it was fashionable to use lithium as an "add on" drug combined with an antidepressant(s) for treatment resistant depression. The theory was that lithium could enhance the antidepressant effect for those that didn't respond to just antidepressants. I don't know if this is still done today.

6. Squeezy

Squeezy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yup. Definitely still done @Webdog. I take it it for mine as an add-on to my anti-depressant. I developed ME a year after starting it, and I'm still not convinced it's not actually to do with my medications, so I caution everyone about messing with these chemicals, even with medical supervision.

I had no other option. And ME is better than my alternative.

7. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The over-the-counter form of lithium is lithium orotate. The prescription form is (obviously) something different - lithium chloride maybe. It is the prescription form that is the more dangerous. It can damage the kidneys for one thing. I assume enough lithium orotate could be dangerous too, but it is fairly safe in reasonable doses.

8. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A word of warning - I know someone with balance issues who was prescribed this to help them come off the booze and they ended up with a life threatening head injury thanks to a couple of falls.

Here is a rather patronizing leaflet (pdf) brought to you by the Royal College of Psychs

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/pdf/Lithium ld final.pdf

Edit - note clicking on the link will actually download the pdf

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Inara, Squeezy and adambeyoncelowe like this.
  9. Keebird

Keebird Established Member (Voting Rights)

The prescribed form has quite a long list of potential side effects, some very serious such as cardiac and renal issues. Personally, it caused me to gain a lot of unneeded weight and become hypothyroid so I had to stop it. At that point it didn’t seem to be having any positive effects physically or mentally anyway. For the record, I was prescribed it for depression, in addition to an SSRI, before we figured out the myriad symptoms were probably from ME/CFS. I personally do not think it’s something that people should self start or manage.

Inara, Trish and NelliePledge like this.