1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Lightning Process study in Norway - Given Ethics Approval February 2022

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Kalliope, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for posting this. It is annoying not having the language skills to be able to really check things out.

cfsandmore and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

SMS and email correspondence from Signe Flottorp to a member of the ethics committee has been posted on twitter. It seems to be from after the decision in NEM was made. It is after the decision by the regional committee but before the national ethics committee decision which makes more sense given the contents (says sms was received in 31th march 2022, and email 5th of april 2022). Said member sent the correspondence to the secretary of the ethics committee the 16th of november. I've done a quick translation in the quote below.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1598584460152389632

Whew, a lot to unpack here. That she has not herself read the protocol struck me as particularly frustrating as they time and time again defend the study methodology. Too tired after translating to say much more, but I'm frustrated to say the least.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
  3. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does the Tweet explain where this info comes from? Whas it obtained legally (e.g through a freedom of information request) or by hacking or a leak?

Solstice, Hutan, Kalliope and 3 others like this.
  4. Midnattsol

It doesn't say. Though I don't see the point in hacking or leaking when it would be available as a request of correspondence on the matter to NEM (if I remember our laws right).

Solstice, Hutan, Kalliope and 4 others like this.
  5. Midnattsol

Reply from current deputy chair(wo)man in NEM
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1598632709575782402

Translation:
    What is striking is how a researcher in FHI is lobbying a member of NEM directly during the decision process. This should occur through open communication. The characteristics of previous NEM decisions and "ME activism" is tendentious and polarizing at odds with FHIs mission*.

*I'm not sure how I would translate the last word. "Samfunnsoppdrag" is the work FHI should do for society. @Kalliope Do you have a good translation?

Edit: For those who don't remember all the details around this, Befring was one of the members in NEM that voted against ethical approval.

bobbler, Solstice, Hutan and 12 others like this.
  6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Solstice, MEMarge, Hutan and 6 others like this.
  7. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Here is an illustration of a model that illustrate how biological, psychological and social factors can contribute to the different symptoms one can experience following a viral infection:"
    she presents this as though it is fact, as opposed to an unproven hypothesis.

bobbler, Solstice, Hutan and 11 others like this.
  8. Midnattsol

I assumed the figure was familiar on this forum so I didn't bother to go looking for a higher quality version. :)

Solstice, Kalliope, Lilas and 3 others like this.
  9. sneyz

sneyz Established Member (Voting Rights)

Will anyone following this issue ever believe that Flottorp had not read the protocol? This wording to avoid liability is just so ironic when trying to meddle with the process through closed channels. Also: Befring is possibly the biggest name in health law in Norway time being. She actively communicated the dissent of the minority in the NEM through the media - and now this! Things are moving forward on a weirdly tortuous path

bobbler, Solstice, rainy and 5 others like this.
  10. Midnattsol

"Not read in detail". Siri Forsmo from NEM that defended the study on Dax18 made it sound like she herself hadn't read it and I would be more surprised if she hadn't (as a member of NEM) than Flottorp. They refuse to talk about the issues anyway.

Solstice, sebaaa, rainy and 5 others like this.
  11. Midnattsol

Sorry for the double post.

The claim that harm a long time after LP is unlikely, but effect shortly after LP indicate it is curative does not sit well with me when one has to say after the course one is healthy or it doesn't work.

Well obviously a lot of other grievous things, but this one... just throwing away all stories of harm makes me so angry.

bobbler, Lou B Lou, Milo and 14 others like this.
  12. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

the two 'poster girls' in the UK of being 'cured' by the LP (Martine McCutcheon and Esther Rantzens daughter) have repeatedly been featured in various articles over the last few years as having ME.

Both are mentioned on the LP website:
    https://lightningprocess.com/esther-rantzen-i-am-now-confident-the-lightning-process-has-worked/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowb...ating-daughter-amid-coronavirus-pandemic.html

(I haven't looked up the MM ones as she has her own thread).

Lou B Lou, Solstice, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  13. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Lots of corruption at Cochrane it seems. We need answers for this.

This is obviously false, this did not stop after a "solid factual review", in fact the update is allegedly happening. So they seem to actually believe their own lies. But it also raises the question of whether it is actually happening, since we have seen absolutely nothing out of it.

But this all seems expected after blatant corruption has been normalized. Once this kind of behavior is seen as acceptable, that the ends justify the means, the whole process has become invalid. Once corruption and lying and cheating are normalized, that's all you're going to ever get. This is also clearly personal and completely unprofessional.

Except that it technically is professional behavior, in the sense of the joke that however a champion behaves is always the behavior of a champion.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
    Solstice, Hutan and Kalliope like this.
  14. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This person obviously cannot lead a medical research institution. Deeply, deeply unserious.
    A small number of positive anecdotes: must be considered true and whole.
    A very large number of negative anecdotes: meh

There it is, complete cherry-picking in a nutshell. I think this is why all substantial discussion is pointless: they genuinely don't care about any substantial matters, about whether evidence even matters at all. They believe in it, and that's why they're doing this.

This is complete perversion and ideological corruption of a scientific institution. She also clearly doesn't understand the issues with conflicts of interest, and seems to understand even less that we obviously extend all the same concerns with any and all studies and research, whatever their nature. She thinks she has a gotcha with this, when in truth we demand far higher standards of evidence than even she does.

This reads exactly like conspiracy politics. Seriously. I'm into this stuff and it's the exact same, people who simply believe they and they alone have the answer and that they must naturally wield power over others if they have to. The absolute worst way to do medicine.

15. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think "mission" is a good translation, perhaps "social mission" or "societal responsibility" could work too.

Thank you for bringing these news to the forum @Midnattsol
    I'm angry too, but not very surprised and kind of glad that this has been brought out in the open. My guess it there's lots more where this comes from.

bobbler, Solstice, MEMarge and 8 others like this.
  16. Midnattsol

I'm happy Befring answered this. And I wonder what did Jo and Camilla talk about the 15th november so that he sent this email the 16th.

bobbler, Solstice, rainy and 2 others like this.
  17. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Absolutely. I worry that some patients underestimate the extent to which communication like this shapes the way medicine works.

bobbler, Lou B Lou, Sean and 2 others like this.
  18. Midnattsol

Professor in psychology at UiO (same university as Wyller for those not familiar).
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1598752531148152832

Translation: "Has a controversial head of research at FHI, who have been very involved in the ME-debate, really tried to influence the independent ethical review of a disputed ME-study of her good colleagues? By contacting committee members?

Have (not surprisingly) seen it mostly shared in ME circles, though it has surfaced on a few non-ME accounts.

bobbler, Lou B Lou, Solstice and 13 others like this.
  19. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Trial By Error: Top Lightning Process Proponent Privately Lobbied for Approval of Norway’s LP Study

"Dr Signe Flottorp is a promoter of the Lightning Process for ME/CFS as well as the research director at the Norwegian Institute of Public Health. That’s a scary combination! Dr Flottorp, a general practitioner, is also a fervent member of the Scandinavian arm of the CBT/GET ideological brigades. She and two colleagues recently wrote an ill-informed opinion piece promoting GET and CBT called “Facts and myths about ME” for Aftenposten, a major news organization. Aftenposten also published my rebuttal–with an appealing photo!–in which I declared their unfounded arguments to be “tullprat.” (“Nonsense,” for non-Norwegians.)

It recently became known that Dr Flottorp engaged in some private lobbying last April on behalf of a controversial proposed LP study being reviewed by NEM–a national research ethics body for medicine and health sciences. In 2021, NEM rejected a previous version of the proposed LP study, although the nine-person decision-making committee has since had a partial turnover of membership. The committee approved the new version of the LP study earlier this year."

https://www.virology.ws/2022/12/07/...ely-lobbied-for-approval-of-norways-lp-study/

bobbler, Lou B Lou, Milo and 12 others like this.
  20. Midnattsol

Forskning.no has written about this today.

FHI-sjef prøvde å påvirke etisk godkjenning av ME-forskning
    FHI chief tried to influence ethical approval of ME research

"Befring believes the problem with the inquiry is Flottorp's position of power in FHI and the use of characteristics of the patients and previous NEM decisions. But also that the input does not take place in public channels.

- Such statements from FHI's employees should take place in open spaces as part of the public debate and not in personal e-mails, writes Befring in a longer statement published in the MElivet blog.

She also reacts to the use of words.

- When you call critical voices activists, it's a way of saying that we don't need to listen to them, she says.

- Characteristics of the patient group to be researched and of NEM decisions weaken trust in the system, says Befring to forskning.no."

The whole comment from Befring on Nina Steinkopf's blog is a good read I think :)

bobbler, lycaena, rainy and 9 others like this.