1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Lightning Process study in Norway - Given Ethics Approval February 2022

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Kalliope, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Trial by Error by David Tuller
    Deja Vu All Over Again with Proposed Lightning Process Study in Norway

The proposed LP trial led by LP investigator and Recovery Norway co-founder Landmark cannot be supported on scientific and ethical grounds, for multiple reasons. It is troubling that key players in Norway’s medical establishment believe otherwise. Hopefully, the NEM will once again draw the appropriate conclusions.

MEMarge, Mithriel, EzzieD and 16 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

3. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Looks correct. I don't know if it's a quirk of clinical trials, but I find it weird to say that the research council is a collaborator at the top, they are the funding body, not a collaborator. OK to have them in the sponsors and collaborator list, but not the pure collaborator one I think. Yest maybe nitpicking, but I've seen the argument "the research council has approved of the study!" one too many times. The council makes no judgement on the quality of the project, they are a first-come first-served funding body for the type of project this is.

Hutan, alktipping, mango and 6 others like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

my bolding

Do others find it as offensive as I do that the brief summary focuses more on what a burden we are to society rather than on the effect on individuals of having a life changing serious disease, along with being told we are a burden on society? I think this is especially awful in the context of a treatment that lays the blame squarely on the patient if the don't 'recover'.

Hutan, Amw66, Kirsten and 17 others like this.
  5. Trish

Does this mean the trail has been given the go ahead?
    Note - unblinded trial with subjective primary outcome measure.

6. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not finally, no. That was set up months ago--I assume after it got the regional ethics approval but while the final approval was still pending. Perhaps they're allowed to recruit based on the initial approval until it gets rejected, if it does.

alktipping, Wonko, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  7. Midnattsol

It's terrible, and the longer project description in Norwegian adds even more of this.
    No, the verdict from NEM on the study ethics have not been published yet.

alktipping, Wonko, rainy and 6 others like this.
  8. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

A 3-day Course for Adults With Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalopathy (CFS/ME): a Randomized Controlled Trial : 2022 Norway

Not a recommendation!

the description of this trial as it appears on this website(medifind)

Department of Psychology, NTNU
    Recruiting
    Trondheim

Author: Leif Edward Ottesen Kennair
    Backup: Live Landmark

https://www.medifind.com/articles/clinical-trial/334206297

sourced from clinicaltrials.gov where we find what it is actually.......... ie the Lightning Process

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT05236465

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2023
    Peter Trewhitt and Hutan like this.
  9. Lou B Lou

Lou B Lou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Lightning Process is an Obedience Training.

inox, Sean, alktipping and 7 others like this.
  10. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Excellent point. Treating adults like they are toddlers or pet dogs - that never really clicked with me before.

11. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh no. Does this mean they got ethics approval!

12. Kalliope

no, it's not official yet what the National Committee for Medical and Health Research Ethics decided regarding the ethical approval. Hope we'll get some news soon.

13. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Also: CBT & GET work, according to the people who think LP is great. Or "psychological-led rehabilitation", if they feel very generic. That's even how they know it's psychological, even though it's well-known that inferring cause from pragmatic trials is invalid.

It's the quantum treatments that both work and don't work depending on how convenient it is to say either. There's both lots of evidence, hundreds of trials along with a "definitive" trial that is "the definitive one" but also just one among many, but so much more research is needed, so much that they just keep doing the exact same studies hundreds of times over, identical to one another, a completely generic formula.

We've literally always been at war with East Asia and anyone who says otherwise is suffering from psychosis, or whatever. Also, and obviously it must be said, but there has never, ever, been a war in Ba-Sing-Se, only special, uh, conflict mobilization, or something.

In addition to that, though, I don't understand how there aren't issues with pretending this is some generic "intervention", rather than a commercial product. They don't name it on purpose where it counts, it should be in the title and summary, explicitly named, since this is what's being tested, knowing it's unethical to do something like that, just not caring about it because by using different words, they genuinely seem to think it makes it all OK.

So tobacco companies funding trials showing their product is safe and healthy and will make your skin glow? Just say they have "motivated sponsors" with the actual names in footnotes, I guess. Conflicts of interest are so easy to deal with, you simply have to avoid using any reference to the commercial interests and it's all good.

Sean, alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  14. Midnattsol

The verdict from the national ethic's board came today.

Short version: The National ethic's board has given the study approval, and it will go ahead.
    The whole verdict can be read HERE (google translated)

A minority on the board did not agree with the soundness of the project
    I am gutted this still went through.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
    MEMarge, rainy, Hutan and 12 others like this.
  15. Kalliope

I'm shocked

MEMarge, rainy, Hutan and 10 others like this.
  16. Kalliope

Nina E. Steinkopf: Kontroversiell ME-studie får etisk godkjenning
    google translation: Controversial ME study receives ethical approval

quote:
    A long-planned study where 100 ME patients will be treated with the alternative method Lightning Process received ethical approval in 2020. Following complaints, the approval was withdrawn in 2021. After a minor adjustment in the study design, the project received new ethical approval. New complaints have not been taken into account.

Hutan, alktipping, Lilas and 4 others like this.
  17. Midnattsol

I noticed the google translated version said none on the board were incompetent, this is a translation error from the Norwegian "inhabil" which means none had conflict of interest.

EzzieD, MEMarge, rainy and 9 others like this.
  18. Kalliope

The verdict:

Et 3-dagers kurs for kronisk utmattelsessyndrom/Myalgisk encefalopati (CFS/ME) hos voksne: en randomisert, kontrollert studie

google translation:
    A 3-day course for chronic fatigue syndrome/Myalgic encephalopathy (CFS/ME) in adults: a randomised, controlled trial

quote:
    Appeal against a decision from REK In the middle of 8 April 2022, where a previously rejected project received prior approval after certain adjustments. The decision was appealed by, among others, two interest groups that REK found to have the right to appeal.

NEM does not accept the complaints, but supports the terms from REK Midt. NEM also sets additional conditions for pre-approval.

Hutan, alktipping, Lilas and 5 others like this.
  19. Trish

That is so shocking and sad for the patients who will be subjected to LP. It's hard not to despair. My sympathies particularly to our friends in Norway.

EzzieD, MEMarge, rainy and 17 others like this.
  20. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Disgusting

MEMarge, rainy, alktipping and 8 others like this.