1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Let's talk wheelchairs and mobility scooters

Discussion in 'Home adaptations, mobility and personal care' started by Allele, Dec 30, 2017.

1. jeckylberry

jeckylberry Established Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting! How much discount did you find for an opened box?? I got my old clunker for $500 with Roho cushion included (!!) from a lady who was much bigger than me so I’m quite outsized by it, still I can put lots of stuff around me to carry. You are supposed to have one that matches your measurements though.

Dolphin, ladycatlover and Allele like this.
  2. James

James Established Member (Voting Rights)

Some form of suspension is a must the vibration stress of solid wheels can really put a dent in the going out experience, as for what is the best compromise between light weight and packed with features it really is horses for courses and the chair/scooter which can meet personal requirements becomes clearer after road testing a few. Hired a scooter at shop mobility outlet and discovered my shoulders could not see a funny side of simultaneously keeping my head up and steering a must have if crashing and using my personal liability insurance are to be avoided.

Dolphin, Ash, jeckylberry and 7 others like this.
  3. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I saw someone using this a while back, i asked him about it and it looks very impressive and he was very happy with it, It is pricey though :( (but should need no car upgrades to transport)
    https://www.travelscoot.com/

Dolphin, Ash, Valentijn and 5 others like this.
  4. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

It’s listed on their website.

A38D371E-B0A9-47DD-AE95-597C83267452.jpeg

5. Mattie

Mattie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I own this one.(below) It allowed me to accompany my wife in walking our dogs.
    Can't use it at the moment. Combination of being upright and driving is too much exertion right now. But they are great for offroad / forest walks and easy to transport in a car. (foldable)
    1000W engine,maximum range with Li-ion battery is around 60km. Topspeed is 30km/h.
    And they look cooler than a power chair :) Also better suited for uneven terrain.
    [​IMG]

This particular model (Tante Paula Maximilian II) is no longer in production. But they can still be found on ebay. Production has been taken over by SFM (Sachs).
    New model is this one: http://www.sfm-bikes.de/oliver-500/

There are also a lot of cheap chinese models like this one but I would not recommend them. You need the thing to be reliable. A chinese scooter left me in the middle of a forest once. My wife had to come rescue me with our car :confused:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    Dolphin, Ash, Lisa108 and 7 others like this.
  6. Valentijn

Valentijn Guest

It depends mostly on what you want to use it for, but a scooter might be more suitable, cheaper, and lighter.

A power chair is mostly going to be useful around the house. They usually can't be transported without a special van (or expensively retrofitting one), and have small wheels which can only handle very flat and generally paved surfaces or indoor flooring. But they can turn very tightly, which is great in the house and in shops.

A mobility scooter is great for going around outside the house, especially if you live in "walking" distance of shops and such, or just like going for long "walks" near your home. I love my 4-wheel scooter for being able to go over pretty much every terrain, though the smaller and less powerful scooters are more limited regarding slopes and terrain. Scooters are typically disassembled into up to 5 pieces for transporting, but they're pretty easy to reassemble. But if it's not a small scooter, the biggest piece will still be quite heavy by ME/CFS standards.

Wheelchairs are the easiest to transport - small and very light-weight, and also very maneuverable in tight spaces like shops with narrow aisles. But you need someone to push you around then.

Assuming you can get around the house pretty well without a device, drive yourself around in your car, and don't want to rely on having a pusher, a "travel"-oriented mobility scooter (often advertised for use on trains or in airports) might work best. They can be very light-weight, especially if you find one which comes apart into two or more pieces. The main limit is that it probably needs paved and mostly flat surfaces to ride on, but would be ideal in shops and such. The light weight tends to make the travel versions more expensive, and they have lower weight limits.

The "foldable" mobility scooters stay in one piece, and while they are the lightest total weight, you have to be able to lift that entire weight at once. Most seem to be around 50 pounds, and cost $1,000-$2,000 new. "Travel" power chairs seem to have a similar minimum weight limit, with costs from $1,500-$3,000.

Light-weight 3-wheel scooters can go down to 30 pounds for the heaviest part, and cost as little as $550 for low-powered models: https://americanqualityhealthproduc...prider-echo-light-weight-3-wheel-scooter.html.

There's also some light-weight Go-Go scooters which are decent on flat surfaces: https://americanqualityhealthproduc...2796-pride-go-go-ultra-x-3-wheel-scooter.html

If you prefer 4-wheels (sort of) for stability, those can pretty light-weight too, like this one: https://americanqualityhealthproduc...oprider-scootie-4-wheel-scooter-2-colors.html

Regarding keeping feet elevated, I did a bunch of experimenting on the couch and found that having even one leg up was nearly as good as having both legs up. So when on my scooter, I leave one leg down and cross the other leg over it, then switch from time to time if I get uncomfortable. I can also rest my elbows on my leg then, which makes steering easier for me.

Dolphin, MyalgicE, Jan and 10 others like this.
  7. Viola

Viola Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have one of these and it is brilliant. It is expensive but has lasted well. I have had it for 9 years now with only some minor problems (easy to fix - some of these potential problems have been ironed out in newer models). I am on phone now but will write more later.

Dolphin, Ash, Allele and 6 others like this.
  8. Allele

Allele Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So much great feedback here, thank you all so much. I'm stupid tired right now so can't reply just yet--just wanted to thank you all for chiming in. I have questions, maybe tomorrow.

9. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hi @Mattie glad you found great use of this scooter to accompany your wife outside. This option would certainly attract those who have a milder disease. Personally I would find having to keep the balance a bit difficult and energy sapping. Then there is the need to lift up your knees and then take them down when you need to stop.

I have also heard that the 3 wheels scooters are not as stable as a 4 wheels.

In then end, I think it is important to consider everything (needs, usage, disease, storage, etc)in making the purchase especially when the budget is tight. I would worry that your option is no longer one if and when you get sicker.

Re: getting stuck in the middle of the forest, ouch. My worst nightmare.

Another thought to consider is the scooter batteries will need to be replaced every year and they do not come cheap. :(

Dolphin, MeSci, Indigophoton and 3 others like this.
  10. Alvin

I'm so happy to hear an ME/CFSer has one, i have so many questions. The reason i had looked into it is for a relative with Parkinsons, not sure if he will be able to use it though it looks user friendly. I'm curious your thoughts about someone with motor control issues trying to use it since we typically also have some.

Ash, MeSci, Allele and 5 others like this.
  11. Viola

Hi Alvin, I find the control easier on my hand than the lever type but it might not suit some people at all. I like it because you can just move the throttle and just keep it in place with a normal (even fairly light) handgrip.

About the throttle control, even though I prefer it, it might not suit some people. I think they might have made an adaptive lever though (so the throttle can be changed to a lever-type control instead of using it like a normal throttle).

The only thing is you need to watch not going too fast to quickly, as you don't want to be bumping into people. If someone had bad control this might be an issue. With an older scooter I had had to twist a button to change the speed for the most part (though the lever also controlled speed to an extent, but the button controlled the maximum speed it would go at so you could set it not to go over a certain speed).

I find the steerage pretty much like other scooters though it has a smaller turning circle so easier to do in a small space.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Ash, Alvin, Indigophoton and 4 others like this.
  12. Viola

Some points on the travel scoot:

Light-weight and foldable: It is very light-weight and comes apart easily, and folds very small, so relatively easy to get in and out of the car boot. The main part is about 20 pounds so still fairly heavy, but not too bad if only lifting it in and out of the boot. The seat is very light.

It fits in a very small space (e.g. boot of a Yaris, Micra/March). If I go to a very small crowded cafe (not very often) I sometimes sit in a normal chair and fold it up. It doesn't take up much space if you are staying in the hotel or the like, and it can fit in my flat easily (I don't use it within the flat).

Steps and high-kerbs: This is one of the reasons I got this particular scooter. I live somewhere that had major accessibility issues (improved more recently but still a lot of improvement needed). If I get to a step or a high kerb I can just get off it and roll it up. This is annoying if it needs doing a lot, as it defeats the purpose if I spend too much time upright, but mostly I only get these obstacles now and again (I plan my route for this). I can even roll it up a few steps if necessary (and often I get someone offering to help if it is awkward).

Battery: I got a lithium-ion battery which is a lot more expensive but much lighter, goes longer, and lasts longer (I have 2 batteries. They are 9 years old now and still fine, though I think they go for less time than they would have initially. I don't have to charge up between each outing, though if I have gone much longer than normal I might just in case). You could always buy one with the heavier battery and buy a lithium-ion one later if you can't afford lithium-ion one initially.

Comfort: It is more comfortable than you would think. Your legs are very slightly raised (only very slightly) which is an advantage. The seat is comfortable but the back-rest is not great for sitting in for long-periods. I normally sit on a normal chair if sitting for a long-period, and basically use the scooter mostly to travel around.

Hills: It seems to be fine going up fairly steep inclines, but coming down can be a problem. It is very light-weight, and doesn't have the sort of electric brake some scooters have, so it can roll quickly if the incline is very steep. If a place is very steep I either hang on to a hand-rail with one hand and/or put one of my feet on the ground to slow me down. This is the main disadvantage I think, especially if you lived somewhere very hilly.

Terrain: Obviously it is best on smooth ground (concrete, tarmac, tiles, wood) but can cope with carpet (not sure about deep-pile but it can manage good thick carpets with good underlay in hotels), grass to some extent (it if it was very tall it could be an issue), compacted gravel but it is poor on loose and especially large gravel (also with the older model the gravel can get into a part and damage it. I think this has happened to me recently and I had just replaced this part :banghead: It is cheap but annoying to replace. This might not be an issue with the newer models which don't have an exposed drive-belt). I even drove it in a woodland area once. It had a sort of rough-path done out but still I was surprised it managed.

Reliability: I would say very good. I have had some minor issues which I could sort quickly with instructions. Though it used to be the inventor you were originally dealing with directly, so he might have been better. I haven't had any major issues since he retired (though I lost some screws which had become lose. I hadn't though to check the tightness over the years). I know some of these issues I had have been sorted in newer models (I have one of the earlier models).

Value for money As I mentioned earlier I have this just over 9 years now. Even though it was expensive (my parents bought it for me), it has lasted well and has worked out at a few hundred Euro a year cost, which is money well-spent (and cheaper than all the extra taxis I would have had to get). I think there is a good chance it will last many more years. You can buy replacement parts for all of it as far as I can see. If something goes majorly wrong that I can't fix I might bring it to a mechanic and ask them to have a go (otherwise i have to ship it to Germany).

Effect on my life
    It changed my life when I got it. I had not gone down some pedestrianised streets in my town for years until I got this scooter. I was only able to walk very short distances, so was reliant on someone bringing me out in a manual chair for things where I couldn't be dropped at the door and that didn't require much walking (e.g. I could go to a coffee shop and just sit, but not go around a big supermarket or shopping centre). So this scooter has meant that I am much more independent, and basically I can do more things I want to do. I can also get more done when out.

My family could be a bit negative about the wheelchair, but they had a different attitude about the scooter. I think this was partly as it was expensive they wanted to see me using it to get value out of it. They are used to it now and can see all I can do with it (and oddly, now are a bit more positive about the wheelchair when I need to use it - this is rarely, as I much prefer the scooter, mostly on holidays abroad which I have done a few times).

Going out and about is still a lot of effort, and the stimulation, talking, thinking, and prolonged sitting upright is tiring, but the walking and standing for me were the worst part and restricted me a lot, so I manage to cut those out with this.

I have brought it on buses, trams and trains (not a lot though as I don't use public transport a lot).

I have brought it on holidays (within the country I live in). This is great as it gives me some independence on holidays also. For example, on a holiday with my parents, they wanted to visit relatives (that I don't know) that were a bit of a distance away, and I wanted a fairly easy restful day, so they could go off for the day and I could rest in the house, but also go out when I wanted. There was a lovely park and lake very near where we were staying. Having the scooter meant I was not stuck indoors even if I felt like going out, and it means someone doesn't have to be with me all the time.

I am so used to it now I am probably forgetting some of the advantages, as it is normal for me now. I can't scoot long distances, so still need to use other transport to transport me a few miles to get to place. I use it if going shopping or into town, or for days out to places. I learned how to drive since I got it. I don't have to worry too much about where I park, as I can just scoot to wherever I want to get to from the car.

13. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Viola thank you for such a great in depth review of your scooter. :thumbup: Really useful. :)

It sounds really great, but suspect not for me as we live on a hill that's somewhat steep... Plus on holiday I'd be wanting to use it to get to beach, which is down a three arrow hill (steepest) according to Ordnance Survey maps. If I could be happy with the brakes I might well go for one, but not sure... In fact not even sure if it would be worth me getting any sort of scooter/buggy as I hardly leave the house! And doctor and hairdresser too far away, so would be taken in my car anyway. But I do dream of being more able to get around myself. Hard to judge at present, after all the PIP stuff I'm still totally kerknackered! ;)

Dolphin, MeSci, Allele and 6 others like this.
  14. Alvin

Thanks so much for the in depth review @Viola its very enlightening :)

Dolphin, MeSci, Allele and 3 others like this.
  15. Allele

Allele Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow, I just saw this nifty thing on the front page of Reddit:

a scooter attachment for a wheelchair, kind of the best of both worlds!

Warning: it's a gif

Dolphin, MyalgicE, Jan and 9 others like this.
  16. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What i would like is a scooter with a snowshoe attachment, so I can visit the snow when I want to :cool:

17. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If we're being like that then I would like one that can levitate (for going up stairs dalek style), and that has variable size and weight, so when not in use if can be reduced in both and put in a pocket (possibly attached to some keys).

Probably not gonna be cheap, so I also want it to be cheap, or free.

...and delivered same day,

Dolphin, MyalgicE, Jan and 10 others like this.
  18. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Allele - that looks great - I've looked at similar on Youtube but haven't seen one that's so simple to attach and re-attach. It looks as though it might fit a wide range of self-propelled wheelchairs. Was there any information about it?

Dolphin, Louie41, Allele and 2 others like this.
  19. Viola

Just for you wonko

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzsnByh9c7w

Jan, TrixieStix, Lisa108 and 8 others like this.
  20. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Jan, MeSci, Graham and 6 others like this.