1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Let's talk wheelchairs and mobility scooters

Discussion in 'Home adaptations, mobility and personal care' started by Allele, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Allele

Allele Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So I am finally (grudgingly) admitting to myself that life might be less crashy and my horizons expanded a bit if I had a power wheelchair. I'd love to hear from others who have one what features you love/hate/wish you had. I only have a carer one day a week, so the thing would ideally be foldable and liftable by me.

My main concern/question regards the aspect of OI--I need my feet to not rest below. I'm so much better reclining as well, but it seems like a power one with tilting is the price of a small car. So I could settle for a nonreclined seat but would need a way to comfortably have my knees up.

Any and all suggestions/custom mods/recommendations welcome.

@Gingergrrl , @Wonko (I can't remember who else have them. Is Jen B on here?)

Ash, Yessica, alktipping and 9 others like this.
  2. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Allele I do not have a wheelchair, let alone a powered one - which isn't to say one wouldn't be handy, it's just a bit impractical when I live in a 3rd floor flat with no lifts (and not being allowed to leave anything, at all, in the stairwell, due to wheelchairs being a fire risk apparently)

JellyBabyKid, Dolphin, Ash and 6 others like this.
  3. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Allele - no idea about wheelchairs I'm afraid. I'm sure others will be able to advise.

However, if you can't put you legs up in a wheelchair then wearing flight socks while in it might help. If I have to go out I find them quite helpful especially when I am being driven for any length of time in the car.

Dolphin, Ash, Yessica and 7 others like this.
  4. Allele

Oh dear, @Wonko, I must have wished you had one and confused that with "remembering" you had one:confused:

Louie41, Dolphin, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  5. Allele

Also I suddenly feel bad about tagging @Gingergirl, as I've just remembered her circumstances are extra challenging right now.
    Sorry Gingie, and please don't use your energy replying, just take good care of yourself.

Louie41, alktipping, MeSci and 6 others like this.
  6. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have a mobility scooter, a sturdier one that allows me to go on trails and in nature. While it does not tilt, i can actually recline for an imprumptu ‘lay down’ if i need it. i can also swing my legs over the tiller, which has come handy following my ankle surgery.

The scooter is also very convenient as i can do my groceries and i am able to have a bag or 2 of groceries at my feet, something that is a bit more difficult with a power chair.

Recently i have had the opportunity to try a power chair as my scooter is in the shop needing repairs. The power chair is lower on the ground, and doesn’t have front and tail light. These in my views makes it more dangerous to venture out across streets and almost got hit by a pick up truck on Christmas eve. I also got stuck twice on foot paths as it could not handle loose gravel. The smaller wheels were uncomfortable on sidewalk as i could feel each and every cracks on the sidewalk. On the plus side, the power chair turns on itself, needs less radius to pivot than a scooter. Also the armrest control is easier to reach than a tiller.

The best fit for you depends on what you want your mobility device to do, where you want it to go, and how much you can afford. I bought a lift for my car, and upgraded my car so the scooter could fit in it.

Of note, while you will save lots of energy using a power chair/scooter, you will still experience sensory overload and PEM and you will need to plan your outings accordingly.

Getting the scooter was my best move.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    Louie41, Dolphin, Ash and 17 others like this.
  7. Milo

I agree @Wonko this would be a huge problem. My question to you is how can you climb 3 flights of stairs??? That would be a huge issue for me and force me into being housebound.

I am thankful for the elevators in my condo and the perfect parking spot in my suite for my scooter.

Louie41, Ash, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  8. Wonko

I can, but not very often, and these days hardly ever without consequences, so I don't tend to go out much. Several years ago my local social services decided I should be urgently moved to somewhere on the ground floor, their approach to this was to send me some forms which I couldn't fill in and then drop me after 28 days, so I'm still here.

Louie41, Dolphin, Ash and 7 others like this.
  9. Milo

:( Sorry about that Wonko. Is there any way you can reconnect with them? I bet it would improve your quality of life (as long as your neighbors upstairs are the quiet type)

Louie41, Ash, alktipping and 9 others like this.
  10. Wonko

It took 18 months to get them out here in the first place, originally for a level access bathroom (wet room), which as they decided to move me, was going to be fitted in the new place, but as that did not materialise, I didn't get that either.

The property situation locally has deteriorated since then, a friend took 3 years to get somewhere, despite being the highest priority on the waiting list and being prepared to move to a new area which had more suitable properties. It's literally dead mans shoes.

It's since taken nearly 2 years for them to fit a suitable kitchen and bathroom to her home, she was literally not allowed to fit a standard cooker for safety reasons so has had to use microwave and a multifunction crockpot style cooker in the meantime. Despite her health issues requiring a good diet. There is no money, no suitable properties, no sensible care packages etc, in this or adjoining areas.

So at least 18 months + at least 3 years - it's extremely unlikely I have that long, I'm currently assuming I have a lot less time than that before my state benefits get stopped (in the order of 6 months).

Louie41, Dolphin, alktipping and 7 others like this.
  11. Allele

Oh, @Wonko, I'm so sad to hear all this. Wish I had a magic wand :hug:

@Milo, thank you for your insights and experience, it's so helpful to hear practical tips.
    And yes, a good point about overstimulation etc kind of cancelling out the benefits.
    Still, it'd be nice to visit somewhere else besides the doctor, the kitchen and the bathroom:emoji_circus_tent:

Louie41, Dolphin, Ash and 9 others like this.
  12. Allele

@Invisible Woman thank you, that's a great idea about the socks, I wouldn't have thought of that under my own brain power!

13. Milo

i am so very sorry @Wonko. i hope this changes soon.

Louie41, Dolphin, alktipping and 7 others like this.
  14. Wonko

There is nothing to be sorry about, it's just the way things are, it would be helpful if gravity decreased, but it's not going to, it would be helpful if the air outside was warm enough to breathe without pain in the winter, but not gonna happen.

Some things just are. Nothing to be done, they just are.

But thank you ;)

and sorry @Allele - I seem to be distracting your thread :(

Louie41, alktipping, Lisa108 and 6 others like this.
  15. Milo

@Allele yes, it’s great to have an extra option that doesn’t suck all of your energy. Being able to get out is good for the soul, even if it’s for a few minutes.

I am not sure where you are located, but if you are not quite sure what to purchase, some medical supplies stores will loan you a power chair/ scooter to see if they are right for you.

Louie41, Dolphin, Ash and 8 others like this.
  16. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

These are the wheels Jen Brea owns, the KDSmart Chair.

https://kdsmartchair.com/

If you contact the company, they can fill you in on the gently used, “pre-owned” models , offered at a significant discount. Some have never been used, just people opened up the box, didn’t like it, and returned it.

I researched chairs last year, for a family member. This was my first choice.

Dolphin, MyalgicE, Pen2 and 9 others like this.
  17. jeckylberry

jeckylberry Established Member (Voting Rights)

Hi, I have two wheelchairs. I have a big old power chair and a fold up one. I bought both on EBay. I like the chair versus scooter mainly because the big one is more supportive. I can collapse into it and lie back. it is allowed on public transport and taxis, shops and cafes. I bought it when I was still working so I could get to work and not collapse on the way. One of the most important things I think I’ve learnt is to always use a good cushion - that goes for any seat that is being used for a long time.

the fold up one can go in a car boot so if someone is going to take me out in a car then I don’t need to worry about being too exhausted while with them. It’s not so comfortable for long trips and I can’t collapse into it. The big one will go just about anywhere it fits but Won’t fit in a car but the fold up one is light (except for those who have to lift it!) so it’s not ok for rough terrain like gravel or up and down steep ramps like those you sometimes get at traffic lights. You need someone to help which is not good for the independence factor. Still the wheelchairs do help tremendously and are the difference to me going out or not.

Dolphin, Ash, alktipping and 12 others like this.
  18. Allele

@Thanks so much @jeckylberry , and welcome to the forums! It's so very helpful to hear all these details as I hone in on the right choice for me.

What a gorgeous feathered friend in your avatar!

19. Allele

Thank you, @MErmaid, I wouldn't have thought to ask for an open-box discount!

20. jeckylberry

jeckylberry Established Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for the welcome, I did get around to writing an intro. My bird is called Boswell and he is his own bird, not usually all sweetness like that but he caught the snooze bug and joined me. Woke me up enough so I got the rare photo.

alktipping, TrixieStix, Pen2 and 9 others like this.