1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Latent gammaherpesvirus exacerbates arthritis through modification of age-associated B cells, 2021, Mouat et al

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Aug 12, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

In mice.

Abstract

Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) infection is associated with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) in adults, though the nature of the relationship remains unknown. Herein, we have examined the contribution of viral infection to the severity of arthritis in mice. We have provided the first evidence that latent gammaherpesvirus infection enhances clinical arthritis, modeling EBV’s role in RA. Mice latently infected with a murine analog of EBV, gammaherpesvirus 68 (γHV68), develop more severe collagen-induced arthritis and a Th1-skewed immune profile reminiscent of human disease. We demonstrate that disease enhancement requires viral latency and is not due to active virus stimulation of the immune response. Age-associated B cells (ABCs) are associated with several human autoimmune diseases, including arthritis, though their contribution to disease is not well understood. Using ABC knockout mice, we have provided the first evidence that ABCs are mechanistically required for viral enhancement of disease, thereby establishing that ABCs are impacted by latent gammaherpesvirus infection and provoke arthritis.

Open access, https://elifesciences.org/articles/67024

Hutan, Barry, Starlight and 2 others like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As far as I am aware EBV infection is not associated with RA in any other sense that most people are infected with EBV.

Mice should not be subjected to this sort of thing.

CRG, alktipping, Michelle and 3 others like this.
  3. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My understanding is that the casual link with RA are “effect” rather than “cause” and can be explained by an underlying immune dysregulation?

alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

I have never heard of that. As far as I am aware there is no significant connection of any sort known.

5. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20547657/

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

CRG, FMMM1 and Peter Trewhitt like this.