Lancet, Time for a balanced conversation about menopause, 2024

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by JohnTheJack, Mar 7, 2024.

1. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

Introduction to a series of articles in Lancet.

Unsigned editorial.
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(24)00462-8/fulltext

For most women, menopause is a natural phase of life that they transition as part of biological ageing. However, as highlighted in a Series of four papers in today's Lancet—published ahead of International Women's Day on March 8—commercial companies and individuals with vested interests have over-medicalised menopause. The framing of this natural period of transition as a disease of oestrogen deficiency that can be eased only by replacing the missing hormones fuels negative attitudes to menopause and exacerbates stigma. Furthermore, appropriation of feminist narratives by commercial organisations, which position use of menopausal hormonal therapy (MHT) as a way to empower women to regain control of their bodies, while downplaying risks, further endorses the framing of menopause as a disease.

Midnattsol and Robert 1973 like this.
  2. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Straw (wo)man argument. Doesn't matter if it is a disease or a natural phase or whatever. What matters is that it is often unpleasant, and sometimes worse, and that there are some ways to help deal with that. Every post-menopausal women I know did not like the experience of menopause at all.

Why should somebody have to put with horrible sensations and effects and restrictions for any reason, if it can be prevented or reduced?

What is this, hair shirt week?

...commercial companies and individuals with vested interests have over-medicalised menopause.

To which (alleged) dilemma the answer appears to be that other commercial companies and individuals with vested interests should be allowed to over-psychologise it.

3. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

Horton's Lancet couldn't possibly be saying that something that affects women is overmedicalized, could it?

4. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I suspect this stance reflects the recent push for mindfullness and CBT to be prescribed for menopause symptoms....

5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Aside from the ridiculous notion that menopause has been overmedicalized, the fact that the editorial is not signed almost guarantees that it was written by a man, and they are presenting this as a "both sides" issue with the premise "you're wrong, and I'm right". Laughable. Medicine has a serious problem with allowing the perspective of people experiencing something from influencing how it's understood or handled. They just can't allow it, it has to be their opinion and only their opinion, doesn't matter which is it, and they will always frame it as benevolent.

I tried to look for what they mean by 'balance', and of course it's pretty much summed up by: let me tell you why you're wrong and I'm right, especially about <fake argument no one ever made>. Which is a combination of motte & bailey and straw man fallacies.

It all reminds me of the old arguments for when aristocracies started to vacillate as the only political system, and people started arguing about things like fundamental rights, legitimacy of governance and so on. This is the side of the argument that simply says: well, the system is the way it is for a reason, and it will stay that way, so shut up about it.

Or might as well be "Exxon: time for a balanced conversation about oil". "Hereditary king: time for a balanced conversation about hereditary monarchy". Ridiculous.

Sean, Lou B Lou, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  6. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was just looking into medications for ADHD and my search’s swamped me with now the women think they can have this too we’ve got to put a stop to this ridiculous over diagnosis right now this minute.

The other things I came across were articles on the shortage of ADHD medications and NHS guidance to not let people have them as a result. There’s been quite a few news headlines popping up on shortages of HRT specifically for menopause and NHS stopping people having access to this.

So you know….

Last edited: Mar 8, 2024
  7. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Lol 'time for a balanced conversation', meaning, 'we're in a panic because the "conversation" (ie the diktats), have until very recently, been entirely weighted in favour of dismissing all the problems and nightmares that menopause can sometimes/often cause, as being women 'making a fuss'', & now things are changing & we can have that can we?!'.

As if the 'its just a natural process so stop making such a fuss' paradigm hadnt been the ruling one for centuries.

Just because some women have little-no issue with it, doesnt mean other women arent badly debilitated by it.

Reminds me of the attitude towards period pain - "its natural all women go through it" - so that must mean that anyone having a really bad time, must be merely making a fuss over nothing - missing all kinds of horrendous & sometimes life threatening conditions as a result!

Just because something is a natural process doesnt mean its benign, and just because women have mainly suffered in silence since time began, doesnt mean their suffering wasnt & isnt, huge. And deserving of all options possible being taken to ameliorate it.

Yes it is time for a 'balanced' discussion. But i doubt the Lancet are capable of hosting one.
    However, not to worry, the scales are tipping towards taking menopause seriously, finally, so we really dont need the Lancet's "assistance", the balance is already being achieved...

Missense, Sean, JohnTheJack and 7 others like this.
  8. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What caught my eye for this thread was the word Lancet and I went cold with dread. Then I saw the word menopause and I thought I’ve never heard so much about menopause in all my life as the last few months. It’s been all over the news. What I’ve heard is there’s a decent chance of it being a brutal experience. I’ve heard people need time off work social support and medical care.

Time For Balance.

Of course all of this abundance of concern for women regarding their health was a lot for me to deal with. I had thought, like any reasonable fair minded person would, someone has to step up to balance out all this concern and care for people’s welfare with some concerns of their own. All I can say is good job Lancet someone had to do it.

Yes, Lancet your publication is probably best suited to cover the terrifying appropriation of feminism to sell stuff, novel phenomenon that that would be.

Commercial companies getting involved in medical matters too, a real shock huh? Who’d have thought that that might become a problem?

I can only assume the Lancet will be calling for the state manufacturing of all off patent drugs next week?

Maybe the end of capitalism the one after?

They are really radical over at the Lancet aren’t they? Against exploitation by any means always championing the under dog. :rolleyes:

I don’t know anything about the pros and cons of HRT. However, I do know a Lancet special when I see one.

Also lots of mentions in news about how GPs can’t handle providing care like this now that the profession is so wrecked by the last decade of healthcare and social care policies as well as an increase in societal problems.

But I don’t know, as someone who apparently the NHS can’t afford or isn’t inclined to treat, I don’t feel like people feeling unwell and being told by those in a position to offer some relief ‘don’t worry you’re alright’ is an acceptable answer.

Edit: added final paragraph for context. Also spacing and little face for clarity.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2024
    Sean, JohnTheJack and Lou B Lou like this.