1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Lancet editorial (2020) 'Complicit silence in medical malpractice'

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Esther12, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

(more of the Lancet acting as if it's not part of the problem)

Thiis probably isnnt worth posting, but for those of you who have followed the PACE trial and enjoy being irritated by the hypocrisy of Horton and co: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30351-2/fulltext

The conclusion:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2020
    Barry, hinterland, Sean and 23 others like this.
  2. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting:

"Discuss risks before beginning treatment or providing care

Patients must be fully informed4 about their care. When discussing care options with patients, you must discuss the risks as well as the benefits of the options.

You or an appropriate person6 must give the patient clear, accurate information about the risks of the proposed treatment or care, and the risks of any reasonable alternative options, and check that the patient understands. You should discuss risks7 that occur often, those that are serious even if very unlikely, and those that the patient is likely to think are important. 8 "

Sean, Andy, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  3. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@PhysiosforME
    Can you advise what the " normal" process is pre GET.
    Our physio had no info re adverse effects.

4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Uhh.... literally the entire NHS is guilty of willful violation of this. Blatant, deliberate violation, done with pride and hubris. Not even close to respecting that duty. In fact actually lying in court about us relating to harm, as well as in documentation, recommendations and even communication. And not just by omission or neglect but blatant contemptuous fabricated fiction that exists precisely as a counter to the actual lived reality of many patients.

It is true that The Lancet is complicit in medical malpractice, but it is not silent about it, it is rather very vocal about committing malpractice, insisting it must continue to do so. Horton hears a WHO and doesn't care about classification of disease, he believes in the magical mind-body split and must publish fiction as otherwise his beliefs don't stand a chance.
    Notice the lack of a particular stakeholder in this: the patients. Which is the cause and continuation of this complicit malpractice, medicine is completely unresponsive to patient needs and input when they don't agree with strongly-held beliefs, even against tired old myths. As it always has been and as long as this state of affairs continue so will harm.

Screw you, Horton and The Lancet board, you are as much part of the problem as anyone. As is the BMJ and most of the official bodies in UK medicine pushing behavioral fairy tales in rejection of science, common sense and the duties and obligations of medical professionals.

Arnie Pye, alktipping, EzzieD and 4 others like this.
  5. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I think the Harm paper that Graham and others wrote shows that this is not being done for patients with GET in part because practitioners are being told that no harm is possible and then not recording or following up outcomes. It is clear from patient leaflets that risks are not discussed and reporting of side effects are also not discussed.

6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I didn’t have any such discussions about fluoxetine

even less so about pregabalin and then Amitryptiline which were subsequently added on.

7. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think the get out clause there would be that the pharmacist should ask if you've ever used the drug before and you should receive a copy of the patient information leaflet with the prescription.

I'm not saying that's necessarily enough, mind. Just that this is probably how they would cover themselves.

MEMarge, Andy, Arnie Pye and 2 others like this.
  8. ProudActivist

ProudActivist Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It’s definitely not enough. I have had various apparently expected issues with drugs (including bad withdrawals) which were not on the leaflet. I have had doctors tell me a drug is clean and safe when it wasn’t. This really needs to improve.

(not that I think there are many drugs which are truly clean and safe long term)

9. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It reminds me of a day when i was a freshly graduated nurse in a position that usually requires some experience, but regardless here i was.

We has a small operating room in the labor and delivery unit and there was this one doctor who used to come for emergency c-section unpleasantly drunk, usually swearing and a bit heavy on the knife. in fact i believe one of the babies needed suturing on one cheek.

He should have been reported.

10. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And if a wet behind the ears, freshly trained nurse could see that then everyone else could too. So what stops people from coming forward? Should there be penalties if they don't? (I'm not aiming those questions directly at you @Milo :))

I've worked in the same company as others doing the same job in similar job grades. Occasionally, there's someone who is less than impressive. Usually you don't find out until you meet them on a client site. On the one hand they can do reputational damage to your employer, on the other you can't tackle that on a customer site. There are ways of addressing these things.

I don't understand why they can't be addressed in health services. i have even seen the example of someone with a drink problem be handled - called into HR, put on immediate "gardening leave" and given the opportunity to get help, agree to monitoring etc. or be let go.

Private companies that are nothing to do with healthcare have to address these things as a Health and Safety issue, if nothing else. My employment contract had a specific clause about it. Why are the health service so bad about this?

MEMarge, Arnie Pye and ladycatlover like this.
  11. PhysiosforME

PhysiosforME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mithriel, MEMarge, Amw66 and 4 others like this.