1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Klimas lab end-of-2018 update

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Sasha, Dec 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is the research bit from a fundraising message from Nancy Klimas's INIM (broken up for ease of reading, with a link to the fundraising at the bottom):

Research

Gulf War Illness (GWI)

Dr. Nancy Klimas has carried the research vision in the Institute for Neuro-Immune Medicine and has brought together a team of highly qualified researchers at Nova Southeastern University.

Patients with GWI have seen the human studies that challenged patients with exercise and blood samples before, during, and after – 8 times in 4 hours, then again the next day - turn into a model using more than 5,000,000 bits of data per subject!

A super computer approach and our brilliant computational scientists modeled the biology of GWI and found drugs or nutraceuticals that affected the right, newly identified treatment targets.

Then hundreds of thousands of treatments in combinations and time sequences were run through a super computer platform called Watson.

The computer system created a mathematical model which would “reboot” the homeostatic imbalance found in GWI patients’ immune, endocrine and brain signaling neurotransmitters systems using the treatment targets.

This information resulted in the formulation of a workable clinical trial to test in animals initially.

The trial was successfully completed in the animal model, and now, in 2018 the first human GWI clinical trial is underway using this method!

We are funded to move this human clinical trial through phase 2, and extend the work to other ME/CFS subgroups discovered in the modeling work.

This work is federally funded through the Veteran’s Affairs and the Department of Defense, with a recent 8.5 million dollar grant from the Army to help this and other biologically based models move through phase 1 and phase 2 trials

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS)

In ME/CFS we have completed all of the work needed to progress to human trials, thanks to pre-clinical NIH and VA funding.

We have established 3 models that require different clinical approaches – post-menopausal women model differently than pre-menopausal women, and men model differently than women.

See this thread for fundraising info for the ME/CFS work:

https://www.s4me.info/threads/klimas-lab-appeal-for-donations.7417/

ahimsa, Skycloud, Dolphin and 9 others like this.
  2. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hi,

Does anyone know what her mystery potions are for 1) premenopausal women 2) post menopausal women and 3) men are? I assume it’s different from the GWI potion?

adambeyoncelowe, edawg81 and oldtimer like this.