1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Junk science publisher ordered to stop ‘deceptive practices’

Discussion in 'Research methodology news and research' started by Guest 3, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Guest 3

Guest 3 Guest

Read the rest of the article here.

2. Valentijn

Valentijn Guest

Interesting that it isn't about the quality, review process, etc, but rather about deceptive practices in getting researchers to submit articles:
    Their defense is "fake news" :cautious:

3. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Indeed, they learn from the best (or should i say worst) :emoji_face_palm:

Little Bluestem, barbc, zzz and 2 others like this.
  4. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Apparently, lots of these predatory journals have clever tricks to make them look "legit". For example, including superfluous citations of their own journals' article - to make the impact factor (journal citation rates) look bigger.

5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As far as I can see this is a bit of humbug. All this started with the mainstream journals doing much the same. I remember being hit for unexpected page charges by the premier rheumatology journal twenty years ago. There are no good guys in this business. The academic community only has itself to blame.

6. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Someone else pointed out a few years ago that a lot of articles in the Journal of Psychosomatic Research seemed to have superfluous references of work by the journal's editor.