1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Join the Research Momentum with OMF’s StudyME

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Sly Saint, May 1, 2023.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

from email

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 1, 2023
    Dolphin, ahimsa, Lisa108 and 6 others like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, it's pretty easy to sign up. This is not a patient registry, maybe that will come later because it is so badly needed, so the questions are rather simple, mostly simply ask about whether you are interested in participating in a study, how far, and for what research purpose (PEM, brain fog, etc.). Takes 3-5 minutes.

I really hope we can have a patient registry soon. It's such a major missing piece, along with longitudinal and in-depth studies with multiple validated cohorts. But it's also clear that recruitment for studies is a huge problem that can be massively streamlined this way.

3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Solve have a patient registry in the USA.

4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

So it will duplicate Solve's registry then, as far as I can see .

Cross posted with Trish.

5. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The OMF one accepts people from any country, so I signed up too, just in case. The Solve Registry is only for people living in the US but the website says they are planning an international one too.

6. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

The Solve You and ME Registry also accepts people in Australia.

7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah, and I seem to remember it was supposed to expand beyond, but that never happened. I actually forgot about it. Haven't seen anything about it at all. Is it even active/used for something?

8. Hutan

Yes. I'd like to see a bit more about data security. The link for Privacy Policy goes to Yuzu labs. Yuzu seems to be a small San Francisco based company - perhaps only 2 employees? They run Study Pages and promise to keep data secure, but their customer is, in this case, OMF. Yuzu says:
    So, it would be good to see a privacy policy from OMF too, as you are giving them control of your data when you sign up. That could be fine if it's just an email and an expression of interest in research trials. But, perhaps the data collected will get more detailed. Maybe that is covered somewhere?

Sean, ahimsa, Peter Trewhitt and 4 others like this.
  9. Hutan

Every so often I get an email to fill out an update, there's been maybe 8 or 9 updates. So, the information is going in. I'm not sure how much is coming out, but I guess that takes a bit of time.

10. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That was the first concern that came to mind as I read the announcement.

Sean, Peter Trewhitt, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  11. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not sure if it is a good idea to let patients decide which topic of ME/CFS studies they would like to participate in. This will only increase selection bias and provides little benefit. Patients might think: "I don't have symptom X so I'm not interested in participating in those studies" etc.

Solstice, Sean, Trish and 3 others like this.
  12. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From Cort Johnson:

StudyME (Please!) The Open Medicine Foundation’s Project to Accelerate ME/CFS, FM and Long COVID Research
    [​IMG]
    We all know what the way out of diseases like ME/CFS, fibromyalgia, and long COVID is - it's more more research! Research studies, though, require participants, and finding people to participate in them can be one of the more costly and burdensome parts of an already very expensive process.

The Open Medicine Foundation, though, has found a way called StudyME to cut down those costs and accelerate and improve research studies by zinging people with these diseases to the researchers who are studying them. It's brilliant!

Want to make a difference with these illnesses? All it takes is about 5 minutes of your time. Check it out in

Study ME (Please!) The Open Medicine Foundation’s Project to Accelerate ME/CFS, FM and Long COVID Research

https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2023/09/23/study-me-open-medicine-foundation/

Kitty and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  13. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Excellent blog post by @MittEremltage, in Swedish:

Bra utformade studier är viktigare än register
    https://mitteremitage.wordpress.com/2024/01/11/bra-utformade-studier-ar-viktigare-an-register/

Anna H, Kalliope, Ash and 5 others like this.
  14. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Those are good points—they're also good arguments for much more patient participation in study designs.

A registry won't solve the access problems either. Travelling for an hour is difficult for most pwME, and unfeasible for some. It's a major challenge in a country like Britain, but the distances involved in crossing the USA, Canada, South America, and Australia are almost comical.

Ash, Peter Trewhitt, Trish and 2 others like this.