1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy the Gold Standard for Psychotherapy?

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Cheshire, Oct 29, 2017.

1. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah, I think its dangerous terminology and is probably misused a lot anyway.

Wonko, Squeezy and Inara like this.
  2. alex3619

What he called nonscience, and later was called pseudoscience.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    Wonko and Inara like this.
  3. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

I think he originally thought CFS was just a variant of depression, but conceded later that that it was not.

But otherwise, his basic views have not changed one bit, far as I can tell.

4. Squeezy

Squeezy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you for saying that, Inara. It means a lot to me. We both were motivated to speak by our very hard personal experiences.

Let's try to be accurate and calm. I'm bad at calm. :speechless:

40-50% is the range I found. I blurred it for peace. ;)

spinoza577, Valentijn, Wonko and 3 others like this.
  5. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hihi! ;)

Squeezy and Wonko like this.
  6. Inara

At least here they don't take that too axactly. :) it's like getting depression or somatic disorder automatically. And automatically you qualify for the according treatment. How is it elsewhere?

Here, there are a few doctors (private practitioners, one clinic) who can diagnose "CFS" (ME); the number is smaller than 10, and the clinic only takes locals at this time. Whenever you go to a GP, neurologist or...they won't be able to recognize ME. My PENE/PEM description got totally ignored, PET results couldn't be interpreted, I was told this or that is not school medicine (in the US it is)... How is that in other countries?

This in mind, I naturally got psychiatric diagnoses. After getting the correct diagnosis ME, I was informed that I cannot get a new social aid block from my health insurance, because not diagnoses count, but symptoms, and our health (and so judical) system says depression and ME have the same symptoms.

Well-said.

How is it in the UK? Or in the US? Or Israel, Ireland, Australia...? If you get a new CFS diagnosis, what will happen? What will happen if you depend on social aids? Does this affect your free decision against or for a certain treatment, especially CBT and GET? The answers to that will tell how important it is to keep on invalidating those studies with real scientific facts. And maybe we can coordinate that. (I saw on pubmed several articles against PACE - there must have been some coordination. This is powerful.)

7. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

I am "here" - I have been living in Germany for the last 25 years. I know ME sufferers who have accepted a diagnosis of depression just to get half a pension - if they carry on insisting they are not depressed and have a physical illness called ME, they get no money. As they are too ill to work, the money runs out and in the end they say "ok, I'm depressed, can I have some money for food now".

I think you meant "hee hee"? ;)

8. Inara

9. Inara

That's what I heard several times, also from people with back injuries or severe spinal illnesses. (I will have to experience that, too, since I will have to apply for pension. I was told, due to my age, I will most probably get no pension at all.)

Luther Blissett likes this.
  10. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

11. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is not to say that no people will find speaking to a therapist useful, but it does seem that there's a lot of BS and ritual around the claimed 'expertise' of therapists.

12. alex3619

The concept of gold standard is a study that best controls for bias and error. It can still be wrong, have other biases, or be fraudulent.

Inara, Wonko and Valentijn like this.
  13. Cheshire

Quite old, but I just came across that. Interesting thoughts from someone suffering depression who underwent CBT:

https://morgueticiasmentalhealthmausoleum.wordpress.com/2015/04/28/cognitive-bullshit-therapy/

PS/this does not belittle the experience of those who were helped by CBT. IMO, a good psychotherapist is what is more important. The harm comes when a bad psychotherapist with no intuition relies only on bad theories and standard practices applied without questionning.

spinoza577, inox, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  14. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

15. inox

inox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not available. Could this be the same article?

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2654783

If so, they got two replys - both named "The Evidence for Cognitive Behavioral Therapy".

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2673536

That argument doesn't even make sense? The criticism is unconvincing because other parts pf psychology have the same methodical weakness...?

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2673533we

So if you have weak evidence, it's still ok to call it "gold standard" - because it's the least bad....?

16. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

'Gold standard' implies to me something more than a relative ranking. A true gold standard must also meet a minimum absolute standard of methodology and ethics.

Being the least worst of a bunch of shitty options is not good enough.

17. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    inox, rvallee and MEMarge like this.
  18. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

well, I don't think we really know why they work. I doubt it's as simple as that they're "chemical crutches." I got on anti-depressants when I was 25, before the SSRIs came out. They tried me on about eight or nine before finding one that alleviated some of the suffering. If I only needed a chemical crutch, I might have felt better after the first or third or fifth. But I didn't. That's not "proof," of course. But it does not seem to me that the chemical crutch theory matches my experience. Not to say I know what depression actually is.

19. Cheshire

That's the problem, nobody knows exactly what depression is (and it may encompass very different things), but too many people do not, like you, acknowledge this and have strong claims about what they believe depression is.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  20. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As expected, most of the "efficacy" is down to poor accuracy, bias and reliability, mostly dissipates when higher standards are used:
    The biggest problem with cognitive therapies remains identifying when there actually is a behavioral element, which can't reliably be tested for. Those probably make a trivial percentage of what is commonly labeled as mental health issues and no one can tell the difference anyway, even compared to severe chronic diseases. It even appears that the "experts" actually fare worse, since they consider almost everything, including most medical symptoms, to be behavioral.

So there's a stalemate. It clearly doesn't do as advertised but too much has been invested in it to accept defeat. The inevitable collapse of IAPT will likely be the tipping point, but it could go on and on for a while until that happens.