1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Iron deficiency and dysregulation

Discussion in 'Vitamin B12, D and other deficiencies' started by DokaGirl, May 9, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you! So ferritin levels should not be affected by infections?

For yrs I thought my low ferritin might be due to heavy periods but that wasn't the cause either.

2. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The odd thing is that my periods were always light too. Since menopause, my ferritin is now steady at 95. My GP kind of laughed when I was surprised to see my ferritin so high, not understanding that my periods were always light.

I should also add that my copper (ceruloplasmin) which plays a role in iron metabolism was also below normal range.

DokaGirl, Mariaba and Arnie Pye like this.
  3. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ferritin IS affected by infections. Ferritin will rise when someone has an infection because the body is removing free iron from the blood stream or any other tissues containing free iron and storing it away from any pathogens in ferritin. But serum iron will drop, often quite a bit below range.

DokaGirl, Mariaba and Leila like this.
  4. Arnie Pye

I think that is quite unusual. Zinc and copper compete for absorption, so someone with low copper probably has high zinc, and someone with low zinc probably has high copper.

I've never understood the relationship between copper and iron, although such a relationship does exist, apparently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceruloplasmin

DokaGirl and Mariaba like this.
  5. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Got it, thank you!

DokaGirl and Arnie Pye like this.
  6. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hi @Mij I've read that iron deficiency can affect thyroid function. Makes sense. Also, iron needs to be taken several hours away from thyroid meds. (Calcium too.)

Mij likes this.
  7. Mij

@Arnie Pye

Apparently, copper deficiency is rare. It goes to show that our minerals, amino acids and fatty acids are not being absorbed properly.

I had the profile of someone who was malnourished despite eating a very healthy diet and drinking fresh veggie juices every day. I took digestive enzymes for many years, and that did help.

Arnie Pye and DokaGirl like this.
  8. DokaGirl

We've talked before about this. After testing, and not by a quack, I was told to eat more protein, I was very low in iron, and to eat more salt. The results were unexpected as I ate quite a bit of animal protein, seemingly shouldn't have been low in iron, and added salt to my meals, mindful of the advice to do this for OI.

I have a few quite bothersome GI issues. But have never been tested for malabsorption. It makes me wonder about ME and potential absorption issues. I haven't checked to see if anyone has researched this area. There has been info about pwME needing more nutrients than average.

Arnie Pye and Mij like this.
  9. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wouldn't Ferritin levels be one of the first tests that a doctor would run when looking at fatigue? At least is my part of the world it is.

10. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The NHS (UK) has never tested my ferritin levels. I only know what they were coz a ferritin test was included in a private thyroid screen I had done a while back.

The result was 'high' - 1017 - so I'm fairly sure that in my case 'fatigue' is not caused by low ferritin ;)

Mariaba and DokaGirl like this.
  11. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My dad complained about 'feeling half dead' and one of the first things the hospital checked were his ferritin levels. That was how his colon cancer was discovered. Ferritin seems to be a common test that is done here in Canada.

Mij, Mariaba, Leila and 2 others like this.
  12. DokaGirl

Thank you @TigerLilea for your comments. It's good to know that is what you have seen. But I've never seen this. Ferritin level is never on the first go round of testing. If Hemoglobin is fine, that's where it stays as regards iron level testing. Patients have to know to ask for a Ferritin level. It would be helpful if this would change, so patients don't have to know to ask for a ferritin level test.

bobbler, Mij, Mariaba and 2 others like this.
  13. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Surely on it's own a ferritin test is not that helpful, unless the level is particularly low?

Surely in order to get anything useful, if only to allow meaningful interpretation of the ferritin level, an iron panel is needed?

DokaGirl likes this.
  14. Arnie Pye

I would agree. Just because someone knows their ferritin level doesn't mean they know all there is to know about their iron status.

DokaGirl and Wonko like this.
  15. Arnie Pye

The NICE Clinical Knowledge Summary on Iron Deficiency Anaemia suggests the following investigations when anaemia is suspected. I don't think this link is available to people outside the UK.

https://cks.nice.org.uk/topics/anaemia-iron-deficiency/diagnosis/investigations/

It does say this :

In all people, a serum ferritin level of less than 30 micrograms/L confirms the diagnosis of iron deficiency.

and this :

Ferritin levels can be difficult to interpret if infection or inflammation is present, as levels can be high even in the presence of iron deficiency.

For anyone interested in iron deficiency anaemia and how it is supposed to be diagnosed, there is far more info on that link than I've suggested above.

Start with this link and pick out the things that interest you.

https://cks.nice.org.uk/topics/anaemia-iron-deficiency/

Mariaba and DokaGirl like this.
  16. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I did read previously that high ferritin and high GGT ( liver marker) can inidicate insulin resistance ( and can be an indicator for NAFLD)
    So if you are diabetic then this may possiblybe why your ferritin is high.

DokaGirl and Wonko like this.
  17. Mij

If your GP goes strictly by reference range then you might be in trouble if you're not receiving your lab results.

A ferritin reference range of 12 to 150 ng/mL is not a good indicator. Anything below 20 is the first sign that I don't feel right. I feel best at 50+. Maybe it's just me though.

DokaGirl and Arnie Pye like this.
  18. DokaGirl

Interesting @Arnie Pye that ferritin level can be high with inflammation or infection even with iron deficiency. Tricky. I wonder if this has any ramifications for pwME.

Arnie Pye likes this.
  19. DokaGirl

Here is a retrospective study re ferritin looking at the issue of it not necessarily being ordered by GPs, and suggestions to improve this.

[​IMG]
    J Family Med Prim Care. 2017 Jan-Mar; 6(1): 69–72.
    doi: 10.4103/2249-4863.214986
    PMCID: PMC5629903
    PMID: 29026752
    HWA: Hypoferritinemia without anemia a hidden hematology disorder
    Hassan A. Al-Jafar1
    Author information Copyright and License information Disclaimer

This article has been cited by other articles in PMC.

Go to:
    Abstract
    Introduction:
    Anemia is a condition, in which the number of red blood cells (RBC) and the hemoglobin (Hb) is insufficient to meet the body's physiologic needs. Hypoferritinemia without anemia (HWA) could cause masked clinical manifestations as general weakness, easy fatigability, depressed mode, and hair loss but with normal complete blood count (CBC) parameters. HWA is deferent from iron deficiency anemia (IDA) because there is no reduction in the RBC, Hb, or any of the other parameters of the CBC. In HWA, the hypoferritinemia could be missed because serum ferritin not always requested by general practitioners. (my bolding)

Materials and Methods:
    A retrospective study conducted on 6993 patients of hypoferritinemia patients from our computerized database from 2010 to 2016. The parameters investigated to detect HWA disorder were serum ferritin, RBC, Hb, hematocrit, mean corpuscular volume, and mean corpuscular hemoglobin.

Results:
    HWA is found in 130 (0.018%) hypoferritinemia patients, in a ratio 1.7–1 females to male.

Conclusion:
    HWA is a masked hematology disorder which needs new nomenclature to distinguish it from IDA because they are two deferent disorders although both of them have low serum ferritin. HWA is not a latent IDA because it could happen in patients whom will not get anemia as in polycythemia patients on recurrent veinesection treatement.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5629903/

Leila likes this.
  20. DokaGirl

Yes, absolutely.
    These tests should be done.
    To my knowledge, and what I've observed happens is the ferritin is left out, not the other measures that are also very important.
    The other iron measures such as HB are usually done.
    If those other measures are OK, ferritin is less likely to be done, as per the article above.

Others may disagree.

bobbler likes this.