1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Investigating the Enterovirus Theory of Disease Aetiology in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 2022, O'Neal (thesis)

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Tom Kindlon, Nov 2, 2022.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://ecommons.cornell.edu/handle/1813/112023

INVESTIGATING THE ENTEROVIRUS THEORY OF DISEASE ETIOLOGY IN MYALGIC ENCEPHALOMYELITIS/CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME

VIEW/OPEN
    Access to Document (Restricted)

NO ACCESS UNTIL
    2023-03-06
    PERMANENT LINK(S)
    http://doi.org/10.7298/j3mn-zp26

https://hdl.handle.net/1813/112023
    COLLECTIONS

METADATA

Show full item record

AUTHOR
    O'Neal, Adam James

ABSTRACT
    Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) is a complex, multi-system disease whose etiological basis has not been established.

Over the years, several pathogenic agents have been implicated with no one pathogen being conclusively identified as responsible for induction of a large number of cases.

Enteroviruses (EVs) as a cause of ME/CFS have sometimes been proposed, as they are known agents of acute respiratory and gastrointestinal infections that may persist in chronic infection sites, including the central nervous system, muscle, and heart, potentially resulting in chronic conditions that have symptom constellations like those of ME/CFS.

To gain insight into the association between EVs and ME/CFS, I conducted a comprehensive review of EV studies in ME/CFS and followed this with
    1) a broad serological survey of ME/CFS antibody levels to 122 pathogenic antigens
    and
    2) designed and conducted EV-specific targeted RNA sequencing.

A review of prior ME/CFS investigations in ME/CFS revealed a strong prevalence of chronic EV infections across ME/CFS cohorts.

The broad survey of anti-pathogen antibody levels in ME/CFS cases did not implicate any one pathogen as a causative factor in ME/CFS, nor do they rule out common pathogens that frequently infect the US population.

However, the results did reveal sex-based differences in steady-state humoral immunity, both within the ME/CFS cohort and when compared to trends seen in the healthy control cohort.

Furthermore, I find that our EV-specific probe set allows efficient viral detection when as few as 10 molecules are present in 1ml of blood.

However, whether the technology is employed directly on patient samples or following attempts at in vitro biological amplification, EVs were undetected in both ME/CFS and healthy control samples despite all approaches that were pursued.

This work establishes a thorough understanding of the current EV-ME/CFS related literature while simultaneously providing an acutely sensitive and comprehensive approach that will be useful in the future for screening biopsy or cadaver samples from any individuals suspected of having a chronic EV infection.

DESCRIPTION
    173 pages
    DATE ISSUED
    2022-08

SUBJECT
    antibody; chronic fatigue syndrome; enterovirus; ME/CFS; RNAseq; virology
    COMMITTEE CHAIR
    Hanson, Maureen R.
    COMMITTEE MEMBER
    Grimson, Andrew William; Leifer, Cynthia Anne
    DEGREE DISCIPLINE
    Biochemistry, Molecular and Cell Biology
    DEGREE NAME
    Ph. D., Biochemistry, Molecular and Cell Biology
    DEGREE LEVEL
    Doctor of Philosophy
    TYPE
    dissertation or thesis

RedFox, Mij, MeSci and 3 others like this.