1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Invest in ME Research Initial Statement on UK Rituximab Clinical Trial

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by MeSci, Feb 12, 2018.

1. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think this is new:

http://www.investinme.org/IIMER-Newslet-1802-01.shtml

February 2018
    Rituximab Trial and Research

Statement Following Preliminary Phase III Rituximab Clinical trial Results from Norway

Following the preliminary results which Professor Olav Mella recently publicly released from the Phase III multi-centre double-blinded placebo-controlled Rituximab Clinical Trial (see statement 21st November 2017) the charity has had discussions with advisors and researchers and has now received further communication from Dr Fluge in Norway.

Invest in ME Research has issued the statement below regarding the planned UK trial.

The Haukeland team will be presenting at the IIMEC13 13th International ME Conference in London on 1st June 2018

More at link.

2. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Fair enough.

Awol, Esther12 and Invisible Woman like this.
  3. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes fair enough. The positive is that IIME has quite a lot of money (depending to a part if they can keep their philanthropist donation too) to plough into other British research. It's not like there's not a whole range of other areas needing funding. The problem in UK I'm guessing is who there is to fund, unless they're channelling it to the same people for different things.

Awol and Esther12 like this.
  4. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm unclear as to how much of their remaining pot is pledges for a rtx trial rather than money that they've actually received, and whether the pledgers would now withdraw their pledges.

Indigophoton and Esther12 like this.
  5. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I guess that's what was referred to in the discussion with funders. I think they received £1-200k from a specific donor

Indigophoton, Esther12 and Sasha like this.
  6. Sing

Sing Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am impressed that they have taken the disappointment and trying to move in other more fruitful directions. The history of funding and research for this disease in the U.S. and other places is that research ideas which have been studied by means of poorly designed projects with inconclusive, even negative results, keep being funded. Ideas and institutions get stuck in a groove. So any groups that can re-organize and change direction to more promising areas are very commendable!

lycaena, Awol, Indigophoton and 3 others like this.
  7. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They say:
    So I guess, in theory, they should still get the funds. We'll have to wait and see I suppose.

Dolphin, Indigophoton and Esther12 like this.
  8. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If I was wealthy and made a pledge to fund a rtx trial, I wouldn't consider myself bound to donate that sum if a rtx trial couldn't be done, and I'd have made that clear at the time of the pledge. By 'funds', I think that IiME can really only mean 'money raised', rather than pledges.

9. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I guess it depends who they are and what their aims are.

If their special interest is ritux then maybe not. If it's research into this particular illness .....

Or maybe they'll hang on until they see what direction the next research being proposed takes.