1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Intersectional inequalities in somatic symptom severity in the adult population in Germany found within the SOMA.SOC study 2024 Barbek et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Feb 20, 2024.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

Somatic symptoms are common in a wide range of medical conditions. In severe cases, they are associated with high individual and economic burden. To explore social inequalities in somatic symptom severity (SSS) and to identify social groups with highest SSS, we applied an intersectional research approach. Analyses are based on cross-sectional data of the adult population living in Germany (N = 2413). SSS was assessed with the Somatic Symptom Scale-8. A multiple linear regression model with three-way interaction of gender, income and history of migration and post-hoc pairwise comparison of estimated marginal means was conducted. Analyses revealed intersectional inequalities in SSS along the axis of gender, income, and history of migration. Highest SSS was found in males with low income whose parent(s) immigrated, females with low income who immigrated themselves, and females with low income and no history of migration. Intersectional approaches contribute to a more comprehensive understanding of health disparities. To reduce disparities in SSS, proportionate universal interventions combining universal screening and targeted treatment seem promising.

Open access, https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-024-54042-8

Hutan, Sean and Trish like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

"Somatic symptoms" - always hard to know if words mean what they are supposed to, or if they have a meaning that is almost the opposite of that.

I was well into the Methods section before I had any idea, and, even then, I wasn't really sure:

rvallee, Sean and Joan Crawford like this.
  4. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As far as I've observed the term "somatic symptoms" is only ever used to imply psychogenic causation, i.e. the "psycho" of "psychosomatic" is silent.

When medicine is talking about biological disease, the term is simply "symptoms".

rvallee, Hutan, Trish and 2 others like this.