1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

International: IACFS/ME - International Association for CFS/ME, IACFSME

Discussion in 'News from organisations' started by Andy, Sep 27, 2019.

1. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This year's IACFS/ME conference is in July. More here: https://www.iacfsme.org/2022-conference-main-page/

I would start a new thread, but it is not clear yet if this is going to be streamed and that we can therefore participate in the conference somewhat. I suspect not.

2. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think that last year, when it was virtual organisations could pay to view the talks. MEA did this and produced several reports:
    https://meassociation.org.uk/2021/1...esentation-treating-me-cfs-with-aripiprazole/

3. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2022
    Hutan, MEMarge, cfsandmore and 3 others like this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Hutan, Peter Trewhitt and MEMarge like this.
  6. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Wanted: forum members to report on the IACFSME 2022 Virtual Medical Conference
    July 27-30 2022. 9 am to 5 pm EDT (New York city time)

IACFSME have kindly offered the forum access rights to the conference, in order to share the information from the presentations more widely.

We are therefore looking for up to 4 members to prepare notes to post on the forum. We expect it would be done like a relay race, with each person taking responsibility for being online at certain times. The reporters will have access to the conference recording afterwards, but ideally the initial reports will be produced and posted fairly quickly. If someone is interested in tweeting and/or posting brief notes in real time, that might also be good.

If you are interested, please contact me or Trish and say what times you could attend the conference and what output you could provide. If we have more volunteers than can be accommodated, the committee will make the call on who will attend. Members with a track record of contributing to the discussion of research on the forum will be preferred.

Thanks to IACFSME for this opportunity.
    @hope123, @Keith Geraghty

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
    Fizzlou, MEMarge, Andy and 9 others like this.
  7. Hutan

8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Featured speakers at the upcoming conference
    • Keynote: Akiko Iwasaki, PhD, Sterling Professor, Immunobiologist, Long Covid expert. Yale University School of Medicine
    • Plenary: David Systrom, MD, Pulmonologist, Exercise intolerance in ME/CFS, Long Covid. Harvard Medical School
    • Invited: Lauren Stiles, JD, President, Dysautonomia International; Research faculty in neurology, Stony Brook Medicine.
    Special multidisciplinary session

“Capturing post-exertional malaise”

Conference includes: Oral presentations, workshops, poster session, awards ceremony

More information/registration: https://www.iacfsme.org/2022-conference-main-page/

sebaaa, Sean, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  9. Hutan

A reminder on this - please get in touch if you are interested in helping to report on the presentations.

ahimsa, Trish, Dolphin and 1 other person like this.
  10. Hutan

IACFS/ME 2022 Virtual Medical and Scientific Conference July 27 - 30, 2022
    I think the conference was a useful contribution to the ME/CFS community - thanks very much to Lily Chu @hope123 and her team for what I am sure was a lot of work, and for allowing Science for ME virtual access. Click on the thread link above for links to the summaries of the talks.

A recent email from IACFS/ME advertises their Journal Club:

IACFS/ME Virtual Journal Club
    REMINDER
    August 17, 2022 4 PM New York City Time
    (Convert Time and Date for your location.)

Evaluating case diagnostic criteria for myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS): toward an empirical case definition

Conroy KE, Islam MF, Jason LA. Evaluating case diagnostic criteria for myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS): toward an empirical case definition. Disabil Rehabil. 2022 Mar 2:1-8. doi: 10.1080/09638288.2022.2043462. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35236205.

Click here for full article.

Dr. Jason is the foremost epidemiologist in the field of ME/CFS and has been studying ME/CFS case definitions for more than 2 decades. His recent paper aims to evaluate the validity of 3 different case definitions (CCC, ME-ICC, and IOM) by factor analyzing a large, international sample. Join us for a lively discussion and learn how Dr. Jason's views have evolved over time.

Register for AUGUST Virtual Journal Club!

Article nominations for future journal clubs

Is there a classic or recently published article you want to see presented or discussed? Do you have a burning question(s) for a researcher about an article? Do you or your group want to share your work with or get input from other scientists and clinicians?

Consider nominating an article for our future meetings via the link below. Self-nominations are acceptable. Articles do not have to be directly about ME/CFS but should have implications for ME/CFS, related disorders (e.g., FM, MCAS, POTS), and/or the symptoms of these conditions (e.g., fatigue, unrefreshing sleep, cognitive dysfunction). We are open to basic science, clinically-oriented, and public health articles.
    Nominate an article/ speaker

ahimsa, RedFox, shak8 and 3 others like this.
  11. Hutan

Trish and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  12. Hutan

From an IACFS/ME email:
    Next Virtual Journal Club: September, 16, 2022 1 PM New York City Time
    (Convert Time and Date for your location.)

Lucinda Bateman, MD, MS
    • Founder and Medical Director, The Bateman Horne Center
    Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Acute Corticotropin-Releasing Factor Receptor Type 2 Agonism Results in Sustained Symptom Improvement in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Pereira, Gerard, et al. “Acute Corticotropin-Releasing Factor Receptor Type 2 Agonism Results in Sustained Symptom Improvement in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.” Frontiers in Systems Neuroscience, vol. 15, 2021. Frontiers, https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fnsys.2021.698240.

Dr. Bateman has specialized in the care and research of ME/CFS patients for over 2 decades. This work examines whether an agonist to the receptor of the acute corticotropin-releasing factor can positively affect ME/CFS. These receptors play a role in the limbic system, which helps the body assess and respond to threats, i.e. factors which can interfere with homeostasis.

Register for September Virtual Journal Club!

We have a S4ME thread on this study here - well worth a read before participating in the Journal Club discussion: Acute Corticotropin-Releasing Factor Receptor Type 2 Agonism Result in Sustained Improvement in ME/CFS - Pereira, Bateman et al, 2021

Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
    Milo, Dolphin, ahimsa and 3 others like this.
  13. Hutan

From an IACFSME email:

1) November 16, 2022 Virtual Journal Club Recording
    Thank you to Martina Seifert, PhD, for presenting her team's work!

Dr. Martina Seifert and Dr. Lavinia Flaskamp discuss their work examining the effect of sera from long COVID patients, some of whom fit ME/CFS criteria, on endothelial cell functioning. Dr. Seifert's work may build a bridge between ME/CFS and long COVID.

Serum of Post-COVID-19 Syndrome Patients with or without ME/CFS Differentially Affects Endothelial Cell Function In Vitro
    Flaskamp L, Roubal C, Uddin S, Sotzny F, Kedor C, Bauer S, Scheibenbogen C, Seifert M. Serum of Post-COVID-19 Syndrome Patients with or without ME/CFS Differentially Affects Endothelial Cell Function In Vitro. Cells. 2022; 11(15):2376. https://doi.org/10.3390/cells11152376

Click here for video recording.
    November 16th Presentation by Dr. Martina Seifert
    Intro: 1:53
    Presentation: 3:55
    Discussion: 35:25
    Wrap Up: 59:02

2) Next Virtual Journal Club: December 16th , 2022 4 PM New York City Time (Convert Time and Date for your location.)
    Elisha Josev, PhD
    Professor, Murdoch Children's Research Institute
    Royal Children's Hospital
    Parkville, Australia

Health, Wellbeing, and Prognosis of Australian Adolescents with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS): A Case-Controlled Follow-Up Study
    Josev EK, Cole RC, Scheinberg A, Rowe K, Lubitz L, Knight SJ. Health, Wellbeing, and Prognosis of Australian Adolescents with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS): A Case-Controlled Follow-Up Study. J Clin Med. 2021 Aug 16;10(16):3603. doi: 10.3390/jcm10163603. PMID: 34441898; PMCID: PMC8396969.

Many people affected by ME/CFS first become sick during their teenage years. In fact, the two age peaks of ME/CFS onset are from 10-19 and 30-39. Affected children are thought to recover at higher rates than adults. Yet, there is very little research on pediatric ME/CFS. Dr. Elisha Josev will be discussing her longitudinal study tracking symptoms and quality of life in children affected by ME/CFS.

Register for December Virtual Journal Club!

MEMarge, Trish, Amw66 and 5 others like this.
  14. Andy

Andy Committee Member

From an IACFSME email.

"2022 Clinical and Scientific Conference

July 27 - 29, 2023

Call for abstracts/ workshop proposals: Anticipated February 2023

Mark your calendars to join us July 27 - 29, 2023 for our International Scientific Conference to be held at Stony Brook University in Stony Brook, New York, USA. This will be IACFS/ME's 16th Scientific Conference!

We anticipate an exciting, informative program including:

• Research presentations
    • Innovative symposia
    • Clinical workshops
    • Poster sessions
    Also we welcome suggestions on possible topics, speakers, workshops or organizations that you would like to see at the meeting. E-mail your ideas to iacfsmeorg@gmail.com.

We expect the meeting will run from approximately 9 AM to 5 PM July 27-29, Thursday through Saturday. A conference program will be posted on our website by early June.

The conference will focus on the biomedical, public health, and behavioral aspects of ME/CFS and associated comorbidities. A portion of the meeting will also be devoted to COVID-19 and its relevance to ME/CFS research and clinical care.

Attendees at IACFS/ME conferences are primarily biomedical and behavioral professionals, including clinicians, researchers, and educators. We especially encourage participation by professionals from outside the United States. People affected by ME/CFS and their supporters are also welcome to attend.

IACFS/ME Members received discounted registration fees: considering joining us today for this and other benefits! For a taste of our meetings, see our 2022 Conference Summaries/ information page and 2021 Conference Summaries.

COVID-19 Policy

IACFS/ME will follow vaccination, testing, and other (e.g., indoor masking, distancing) rules as required by federal, state, local, and university campus agencies. Updated information will sent over the upcoming months. Compliance with posted rules are required for all attendees. We strongly suggest you keep up-to-date on your COVID-19 vaccinations and continue practicing behaviors that lower your risk of infection. If conditions prohibit an in-person conference, we will pivot to a virtual format. We thank you in advance for your patience, understanding, and cooperation.

Travel and Accommodation Information

Stony Brook University is located in Stony Brook, New York, on Long Island, 65 miles east of New York City. Multiple airports, including John F. Kennedy International Airport, La Guardia, and Islip/ McArthur, serve the area and the town is also accessible via car, rail, and ferry. The town and surrounding locales are popular and scenic summer destinations on Long Island Sound and the Atlantic Ocean. IACFS/ME plans to reserve a block of rooms at 2 local hotels: discounted prices will be available for attendees. Additionally, some on-campus university dorm rooms may be reserved at an affordable price well below hotel rates. We will send more information in the future. Here is some basic information about the University, the local area, Long Island, and New York City.

Continuing Medical Education

Continuing Medical Education credits will be available for eligible program components. The School of Medicine, State University of New York at Stony Brook is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education to physicians and will designate the number of AMA PRA Category 1 credit (s) TM awarded for physician participation.

Sponsorship

Every conference, generous individuals, non-profit groups, agencies, foundations, and businesses have helped us create a successful meeting. If you or your organization are interested in publicizing your support of ME/CFS clinical care and research to our community, please complete our Contact Us form or e-mail us at iacfsmeorg@gmail.com.

Look Out for Future Announcements and Updates!

If this e-mail did not arrive in your primary e-mail Inbox, please make adjustments to ensure it does in the future. We do not want you to miss any important updates. "

One thing I note is that they aren't intending to offer facilities as standard to enable people to attend virtually.

15. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Can someone tell me what 'behavioral aspects of ME' might be that will be worthy of a research presentation. I mean, we already know about pacing, so what's new?

16. Hutan

ahimsa, Trish and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  17. Andy

Andy Committee Member

From an IACFS/ME email.

IACFS/ME Public Business Meeting, March 31, 2023, at 2 PM EST (New York City, USA time)

Dear IACFS/ME Members and Supporters,

Please mark your calendars for March 31, 2023 at 2 PM EST (New York City, USA time) for IACFS/ME's Virtual Business Meeting. Traditionally, our Business Meetings have been held during our in-person conferences but the ups and downs of the pandemic interfered with our usual plans.

The Business Meeting's purpose is to educate and update members and the public about IACFS/ME's status, finances, activities, plans, and challenges. Board members will present on these topics. We also want to hear from you: How are we doing? What is going well? Where can we improve? How would you like to contribute to IACFS/ME? A more detailed agenda with the link to join the meeting will be sent as the meeting date nears.

Please note that participation in the Business Meeting is open to the public but that voting/ input on certain matters are restricted to IACFS/ME Professional Members, per IACFS/ME bylaws. We hope to record the meeting to share with Members who are unable to attend.

We hope to see you there!

IACFS/ME Board

Ariel, Hutan, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  18. Hutan

I very much hope that a substantial number of S4ME members will be able to attend this meeting. Presumably there will be some more information in a later email about how to join the call. It's a great that the meeting will be open to the public.

IACFS/ME has the potential to be an enormous force for good; the latest conference was an example of that. But there have been some concerning missteps including giving undue prominence to scam treatments and poor quality research, including even work by Crawley. The organisation has not yet shifted to a firm evidence-based foundation. It's time for some new leadership.

For a start, IACFS/ME needs to change its name. We all know that the use of CFS/ME is a sure sign of BPS leanings, which surely is not an image the organisation wishes to project.

Next, it needs to review its membership. Here is its current approach:

Patients are lumped in with students if they need to join at the reduced membership fee; they don't get a voice in the organisation. Proper, voting members are the professionals - and that can be any researcher, clinician or health professional interested in ME/CFS and professionals working on legal issues related to ME/CFS. People with ME/CFS only get to be a voting member if they are involved in a non-governmental organisation (or fit into one of those other criteria) and can afford the substantial membership fee. It certainly doesn't send a message that the voice of the patient who lives with the disease every day is important, and is as valued as the voice of "professionals", who, as we know, often have very limited knowledge relevant to ME/CFS. The professionals, taken as a whole, have not got us very far yet.

In setting the membership fee at USD125 per year, the IACFSME reduces access to membership from people who are not wealthy. So, it is likely that the fee systematically reduces the participation of people with ME/CFS, of women, of people who aren't white, of people from countries outside North America and Western Europe. This is hardly a responsible approach for an organisation that has "International" in its name.

Any member of S4ME is involved in a non-governmental organisation and so should be eligible for membership. I think if there were more of us who value scientific rigour and patient voices participating in the governance of the organisation, then the IACFSME could be a much more effective force for good. I think if nothing changes, the IACFSME will continue to stumble along, mostly achieving very little and, at times, making things worse.

Ariel, RedFox, Amw66 and 2 others like this.
  19. Andy

Andy Committee Member

"IACFS/ME Public Business Meeting

March 31, 2023, at 2 PM EST (New York City, USA time)

Zoom Meeting Link: https://stonybrook.zoom.us/j/96941533324?pwd=WkF4U3VQOXpEckJLb2xmZGhDYmVCZz09

Purpose: Educate and update members and the public about IACFS/ME's status and activities

Topics: Board Members will present.

a. Peer-reviewed journal Fatigue: Biomedicine, Health, and Behavior

b. Conferences

c. Virtual Journal Club

d. Finances

e. Membership

f. Board Re-elections

g. Future Plans & Challenges

Following the presentations, there will be time for questions, comments, and discussion. We also want to hear from you: How are we doing? What is going well? Where can we improve? How would you like to contribute to IACFS/ME?

Please note:

1. To facilitate discussion, this will be a Zoom Meeting. This means if you want to preserve your privacy, you can choose to a) turn and leave your camera off and b) change your Zoom name ahead of time. (If you are unfamiliar with Zoom, see this page about how to join a meeting.)

2. Participation in the Business Meeting is open to the public. Voting on certain matters are restricted to IACFS/ME Professional Members, per IACFS/ME bylaws.

We hope to see you there! We plan to record the meeting to share with Members who are unable to attend.

IACFS/ME Board"

MEMarge, Sean, Ariel and 4 others like this.
  20. Hutan

A reminder for this meeting.