1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Interaction between interpersonal factors and stress reactivity in chronic fatigue syndrome

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by John Mac, Oct 16, 2018.

1. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Recruiting a PhD student for a project

An old tactic of theirs, trying to isolate us from the support of a partner.

https://www.findaphd.com/search/ProjectDetails.aspx?PJID=101451

andypants, Hutan, Esther12 and 10 others like this.
  2. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

? another one to add to your "shopping bag" and other weird and pointless studies in ME @dave30th.

Different Uni but same BPS crap.

andypants, Hutan, Wonko and 3 others like this.
  3. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They acknowledge a physical basis of ME, but like Prof Crawley have decided cortisol is a prime factor. She believes we can be cured by improved sleep hygiene in addition to the usual GET/CBT, but Aberdeen seem to have linked this to a disordered stress response which sounds like yet another attempt to 'biologize' the BPS approach, though I may have misunderstood.

The first thing that comes to mind is why are they focusing on ME rather than any other long term physical condition or even comparing different long term conditions. The write up suggests they believe there is something unique in relation to stress and ME, though rather than looking at the neurophysiology of that directly, which also would presumably require comparison with other disabling conditions such as MS, they are side tracking based on an unproven assumption about the nature of ME.

Without appropriate controls with other comparably disabling medical conditions they can make assertions about stress being a causal factor rather than a consequence of a disabling long term condition, or even medical misinformation and/or mismanagement, deliberately excluding potentially falsifying evidence. This may not be the intention, but if not I feel they are putting the cart before the horse.

Further what could we actually gain from saying the response of partners does or does not impact on someone with ME's stress level? Are they looking for an opportunity to include partners in CBT? Without addressing the impact of the grossly misleading information out there, including in relation to the understanding of the medical profession, will this tell us anything meaningful? Just saying 'it is the partners fault' extends the unhelpful blame game that blights so much management of ME already; so are partners to be made to feel guilty as well as ourselves?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    andypants, Mithriel, Hutan and 7 others like this.
  4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From Alison Wearden, one of the worst quacks going. The FINE trial treatment guide is just vile, and that they got null results for their primary outcome hasn't stopped her promoting it either.

Funded by the MRC Doctoral Training Partnership... to make sure people like Wearden can keep passing on their knowledge.

andypants, Hutan, Sean and 3 others like this.
  5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

CMRC need to start influencing MRC to stop spending money on this crap

andypants, Trish, Skycloud and 3 others like this.
  6. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Yep, I'll believe we have won (in the UK) when the MRC stop funding this shite.

andypants, Trish, Skycloud and 3 others like this.