1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Intellectual humility: the importance of knowing you might be wrong - Vox, Jan 2019

Discussion in 'Research methodology news and research' started by Sly Saint, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

full article here
    https://www.vox.com/science-and-hea...ual-humility-explained-psychology-replication

eta:
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1154864622765084672

Hutan, alktipping, Yessica and 22 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I saw the thread title and wondered if it was something that Sharpe had tweeted, in yet another effort by him to break the irony meter.

3. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

I do hope this idea is implemented, and not just in psych research. Another thing is creating an environment where admitting to being wrong is not met with some sort of humiliation/harassment/some other conseqeunce people will do alot to avoid. Rather it's an opportunity to better understand a subject.

With that said, people who repeatedly make mistakes and don't learn from them might not be the best people to do research.

4. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ha! :rolleyes:, Yes ... MS genuinely acknowledging the virtues of intellectual humility, would be the ultimate inconceivability. Yet pretending to acknowledge it, highly believable.

alktipping, EzzieD and Andy like this.
  5. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Coz the most humble people always make sure everybody knows they are. :rolleyes:

EzzieD, chrisb, Andy and 1 other person like this.
  6. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

[​IMG]

alktipping, EzzieD and Sean like this.
  7. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I remember watching a documentary about the Vietnam War in which a high ranking member of the US government, a senator, congressman, or possibly even Vice President Hubert Humphrey, said that they changed their position on the war during a heated conversation with someone who was opposed to it. The person opposed simply asked "How do you know you're not wrong?" and the person who supported the war didn't have an answer.

[I wish I could remember who this was. I know it was someone pretty famous.]

Yessica, alktipping, EzzieD and 5 others like this.
  8. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

well they could start by admitting they are not scientist and everything they do is based on pseudo intellectual sophistry .

9. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Also I think based on a dislike and mistrust of people who are not as special as they are.

If they were sick with whatever we have none of this BPS stuff would exist.

alktipping likes this.