1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Inherited & acquired errors of type I interferon immunity govern susceptibility to COVID-19 & MISC in children 2023 Bucciol et al

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Andy, Feb 27, 2023.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Full title: Inherited and acquired errors of type I interferon immunity govern susceptibility to COVID-19 and multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children

Since the beginning of the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2)/coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic, global sequencing efforts have led in the field of inborn errors of immunity, and inspired particularly by previous research on life-threatening influenza, they have revealed that known and novel inborn errors affecting type I interferon immunity underlie critical COVID-19 in up to 5% of cases. In addition, neutralizing autoantibodies against type I interferons have been identified in up to 20% of patients with critical COVID-19 who are older than 80 years and 20% of fatal cases, with a higher prevalence in men and individuals older than 70 years. Also, inborn errors impairing regulation of type I interferon responses and RNA degradation have been found as causes of multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children, a life-threatening hyperinflammatory condition complicating otherwise mild initial SARS-CoV-2 infection in children and young adults. Better understanding of these immunologic mechanisms can aid in designing treatments for severe COVID-19, multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children, long COVID, and neuro-COVID.

Open access, https://www.jacionline.org/article/S0091-6749(23)00176-8/fulltext