1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Influence of Candida spp. in Intestinal Microbiota; Diet Therapy, the Emerging Conditions Related to Candida in Athletes & Elderly People, 2020, Rusu

Discussion in 'Nutrition, food sensitivity, microbiome treatments' started by Dolphin, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Free full text:
    https://www.intechopen.com/online-f...iet-therapy-the-emerging-conditions-related-t

I wasn't sure where to post this. I haven't read it, but remember that anti-Candida diets were very popular in the 1990s (and I tried them myself).

2. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Aaah Candida overgrowth, a favourite theory when I was first diagnosed. It brings a nostalgic tear to the eye.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  3. unicorn7

unicorn7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Isn't it interesting that in the 90's all the anti-quacks were going crazy about the non-existence of candida overgrowth and the dangers of anti-candida diets.

Turns out the quacks were (a bit) right:laugh: Candida overgrowth is a thing since the importance of the microbiome was discovered. The candida diet were just diets without the enormous overload on sugar and starch and we pretty much all agree that that IS a healthy diet now.

Of course, some quacks went a bit over the top as well, diagnosing everyone and everything with "candidiasis syndrome". It turns out it's way more complicated than just candida, the whole microbiome is relevant for your health and everything that grows there, can also have an overgrowth problem.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  4. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This 2011 paper showed that patients with the inflammatory bowel diseases Crohn's and ulcerative colitis, as well as those with gastric and duodenal ulcers, were found to be significantly more frequently colonized by significant amounts of candida than controls. 70% of ulcerative colitis patients showed significant colonization vs. 8.3% of controls (P value 0.0005).

The paper proposes a sort of "vicious cycle in which low-level inflammation promotes fungal colonization and fungal colonization promotes further inflammation."

The promotion of inflammation (and perhaps a resulting effect on gut barrier function) might be candida's sole effect, but candida also produces its own toxin in the form of acetaldehyde, a molecule which is a contributing cause of hangover symptoms.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3163673/

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    Peter Trewhitt likes this.