Hypothesis Ineffective control of Epstein-Barr-virus-induced autoimmunity increases the risk for multiple sclerosis, 2023, Vietzen et al.

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Midnattsol, Oct 17, 2023.

1. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

I wasn't sure what prefix to use given that the paper has been accepted in Cell but not published. I read about it in a paywalled news article as the abstract was presented at the ECTRIMS 2023.

Ineffective Immune Control of Epstein-Barr Virus-Induced Autoreactive Responses is an Important Cause of Multiple Sclerosis

The news article says the following of their work:

- Claim to be able to predict people with 260x the risk of developing MS
    - They've used blood samples from people who have developed MS following EBV infections, and controls who have not developed MS following EBV infection
    - Most of those who developed MS had high expression levels of EBNA1, this was also seen in some of the participants that did not develop MS
    - They compared genetic markers, immune cells and the reaction towards cytomegalovirus

The hypothesis is presented thus by Andreas Lossius, one of the Norwegian participants at ECTRIMS (translation by me):
    "The hypothesis, without getting a good insight of the study through the abstract or presentation, is that the imagine that autoimmune B-cells that produce antibodies towards the glial adhesion molecule are killed by other immune cells in persons that do not develop MS, but in those that do develop MS this does not happen"

Paywalled article (in Norwegian): https://www.dagensmedisin.no/ebv-ec...heten-av-funnene-sier-norske-eksperter/592562

Edit: The article is now published, see post #5

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2023
    Ash, Michelle, Mij and 13 others like this.
  2. Arvo

Arvo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That would be "in print"
    (if I understand correctly that you mean that the paper has been accepted but not yet published by Cell)

And what an interesting study!

3. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think the long term mono study could throw up potentially interesting correlations if it could be funded for intermittent followups over a long time.

4. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sounds interesting, thanks for sharing. Let’s see what the paper will really entail (scientific news reports are of course highly unreliable and very clickbaity).

I couldn’t find a google scholar account, but Thomas Berger has a ResearchGate account https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Thomas-Berger-19/research.

Whilst I can’t read the news article, this was the programme of the conference https://apps.congrex.com/ectrims2023/en-GB/pag. There are quite a few names even familar to me in the EBV-MS field (Alberto Ascherio, William Robinson), so I guess it has to be quite a big conference. Thomas Berger gave a very short talk titled “Ineffective Immune Control of Epstein-Barr Virus-Induced Autoreactive Responses is an Important Cause of Multiple Sclerosis” in the session “Late Breaking Abstracts”.

Ash, obeat and Michelle like this.
  5. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

Ineffective control of Epstein-Barr-virus-induced autoimmunity increases the risk for multiple sclerosis

Hannes Vietzen; Sarah M. Berger; Laura M. Kühner; Philippe L. Furlano; Gabriel Bsteh; Thomas Berger; Paulus Rommer; Elisabeth Puchhammer-Stöckl

Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a demyelinating disease of the CNS. Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) contributes to the MS pathogenesis because high levels of EBV EBNA386–405-specific antibodies cross react with the CNS-derived GlialCAM370–389. However, it is unclear why only some individuals with such high autoreactive antibody titers develop MS.

Here, we show that autoreactive cells are eliminated by distinct immune responses, which are determined by genetic variations of the host, as well as of the infecting EBV and human cytomegalovirus (HCMV). We demonstrate that potent cytotoxic NKG2C+ and NKG2D+ natural killer (NK) cells and distinct EBV-specific T cell responses kill autoreactive GlialCAM370–389-specific cells.

Furthermore, immune evasion of these autoreactive cells was induced by EBV-variant-specific upregulation of the immunomodulatory HLA-E. These defined virus and host genetic pre-dispositions are associated with an up to 260-fold increased risk of MS.

Our findings thus allow the early identification of patients at risk for MS and suggest additional therapeutic options against MS.

Highlights
    • Control of autoimmunity by NKG2C + NK cell responses is severely impaired in MS patients
    • MS-patient-derived GlialCAM-specific cells evade control via inhibitory HLA-E/NKG2A axis
    • MS patients are predominantly infected with EBV variants that highly upregulate HLA-E
    • Specific cytotoxic T cell responses can control EBV-infected GlialCAM-specific B cells

Link | PDF (Cell)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2023
  6. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I suspect this is wishful thinking. Not long ago the antigen in MS was supposed to be something else. I doubt it has anything to do with cross reactivity.

alktipping and SNT Gatchaman like this.