1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Induced coma

Discussion in 'Other treatments' started by svetoslav80, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Amy101

Amy101 Established Member (Voting Rights)

You don’t know the medical details of said person but I’m just repeating what we know of them and what they’re going through. So it’s not unheard of because it’s happening in what they said. In addition, many of those things are already occurring if you are Severe/Very Severe so I suppose it’s up to the person whether they want to take the risk and if they’re confident with their medical team.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2019
    Annamaria, Sarah94 and Amw66 like this.
  2. Kelly M.

Kelly M. Established Member (Voting Rights)

You are right, I do not know the medical details of said person. I do know that medically induced coma’s are a last resort thing and are done if a person is at high risk of severe brain injury — like from extreme inflammation from injury, bullet wounds, in certain cases of epilepsy. I also know that the length of medically induced comas are just for a few weeks and length is down to severity etc.

Forgive my scepticism but why would any doctor agree to put a person in a medically induced coma for a year. And why a year? If the cost is at minimum 2000 dollars a day — a year would cost 730,000 dollars — that is a lot of money and if insurance would cover it how would they be convinced that it is a medically necessary procedure for a patient with ME, unless they were suffering some kind of severe brain injury.

You say that ‘these things are already occurring’ — by that do you mean more patients have been put into comas to relieve their symptoms? I can’t find any information on this at all. Could you give further details. Putting a person in a medically induced coma does not just come down to choice and confidence in their medical team. I believe there would be ethical and legal considerations the hospital would have to make and I really don’t think any competent doctor would agree to put a patient in a coma for a year.

Marky, TigerLilea and Arnie Pye like this.
  3. Amy101

You’ve misunderstood what I was referring to there. I meant the things like being catheterised, a feeding tube etc are already occurring if you are Severe/Very Severe.

I’m not giving further details on this specific case because I don’t want to risk identifying the person or the hospital in anyway. I’ve stated what I feel comfortable doing so already. All I stated was a person we know is in one, has been for months and that it is abroad. I feel that you saying it is unwise and no competent doctor would do it, is your personal opinion, this person and their team felt otherwise. I think that’s highly insulting to them when in reality, they understand a lot more about this specific case I am referring to. I know if Merryn asked for this and if she was able to receive it, we would have respected her wishes if that’s what she wanted and would have been hopeful it would've helped as it would be something only resorted to for the most severe. Please don’t just assume that because you don’t believe that it is right, or accurate, that is so in every case.

I’m not saying anything more on this as I’ve said all I can really say and don’t want to say more. If you still are sceptical then that’s fine, but please remember that this is actually happening to someone and it’s not right to call their medical team incompetent when you do not know the specifics of the case.

For anybody else who may be sceptical: I have nothing to gain by having posted this, just it was relevant to the original discussion and this is just now causing further stress for both myself and my mother who is aware of whatever I post, through the fact we feel there is a need to defend what I have said, and defend the person who is undergoing an induced coma and their medical team. All that was posted was we know someone who is in one abroad and they hope it will help ME symptoms. We personally feel it will. I do not feel it is appropriate to criticise a medical team by basically calling them incompetent, and basically saying another ME sufferer’s decision was unwise.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    Amw66, Trish, Sarah94 and 1 other person like this.
  4. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm just curious as to whether this person lives abroad, or did they have to go abroad to find a doctor and hospital that was willing to do this? I couldn't see any Canadian hospital agreeing to this unless it was a life or death situation.

5. Amy101

They live abroad and live in the country where this is happening. This is also someone we knew prior to Merryn having ME so it’s not someone who is particularly active in the ME community

Amw66, Barry, Annamaria and 1 other person like this.
  6. svetoslav80

svetoslav80 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Extending the topic a little, I've lately been adopting lots of libertarian ideas, and so I and think, since it's your own life, it must be your decision what you do with, even if you act stupid and die. As long as you can afford to pay of course.

Annamaria, sb4 and Sarah94 like this.
  7. Kelly M.

Kelly M. Established Member (Voting Rights)

I am sorry that you are stressed out by what I said but being a scientific forum, I am trying to discuss the medical reasons to induce a coma, side effects and so on related to ME. The topic is about inducing comas in ME patients and I was responding to that. As I already stated I do not know the specifics of the medical problems that led to the person you know having a coma induced. My comments are therefore not about them. I am speaking generically and I think what I have said is quite true — that a competent doctor would not induce a coma unless warranted and that there are many things to consider when making such a decision including some very dangerous side-effects. Yes, it’s all my personal opinion but this opinion comes from medical facts and knowledge and I was trying to add to the topic. Again, I didn’t mean to stress you out.

TigerLilea, Marky and Sarah94 like this.
  8. Amy101

I appreciate what you are saying and a scientific forum should include both sides of an argument, but if your comments are not about said person mentioned by myself or my actual comments, then please don’t reply to my comments directly as that gives the impression that it is a direct response to what I have written. All I have referred to in this forum thread is one person’s case who we know personally and as you agree, you do not know the medical details of this person so I feel there is no need for a further discussion between us within this thread as we are both discussing separate things.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    Sarah94 likes this.
  9. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You've a good memory Alex. There was a Cardiologist at Charing Cross offering deep sleep therapy at his private clinic in London. I saw him there and he tried to convince me to try this. It was this chap

http://www.duncancampbell.org/content/preying-hope

There's been quite a history of it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_sleep_therapy

I met survivors of the London Nixon sleep treatment for ME and all their experiences were terrible.