1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Independent: Father attempted suicide and family almost lost home after GP missed common genetic condition for six years

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...er-genetic-condition-peter-king-a8814946.html

2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One of the many ways this entire ideology is morally and intellectually bankrupt. It's harming completely unrelated people.

And, ugh, "falling asleep". That's what you get when you redefine an entire disease around a vague term that can be used in many different ways.

How many more of those are there? How many deaths? Lives ruined? Ridiculous.

This should really be highlighted in the NICE committee proceedings. To create collateral damage is definitely not something clinical guidelines should accept.

Squeezy, alktipping, Chezboo and 6 others like this.
  3. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If he had been a woman of child-bearing age, perhaps the doc would have run the full iron-ferritin tests and made the diagnosis. Still, a dimwit of a clinician, what a lack of caring.

DokaGirl, Squeezy, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  4. AR68

AR68 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

DokaGirl, shak8, Squeezy and 4 others like this.
  5. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It appears more may be overlooked in medical training than appropriate education about ME.

This poor fellow was punted into the ignore bin. Appalling that iron test results even flagged this problem as a potential, and nothing was done.

As @duncan said on another thread, we have to be our own advocates. Even then, we miss stuff ourselves.

Health professionals deride the public for turning to "Dr. Google", but really what do we have when we have physicians like this?

How frustrating for the haemochromatosis society to know there are citizens misdiagnosed who actually have this disease. A disease that causes damage. Good they are finally able to work with NICE and the RC on this.

I don't know what the outcome of complaints is in the UK. What I've seen is that patient complaints are ignored. It's only when other practitioners get involved that something may be done.

Andy, AR68, shak8 and 5 others like this.
  6. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It appears there may be many, many GPs in urgent need of retraining.

Most of these should probably be retrained to fill positions where human interaction is not required, as this appears not to be a skill some possess.

People hate stepping in dog products, they also appear to resent having to carry bags, or being hassled by council employees and made to pay a fine.

Surely even a GP could be trained to follow dogs, scoop as needed, and then bag and dispose of said dog products?

A valuable public service worthy of their skills and ability.

In my life I've been registered and seen about a dozen GP's. I've only ever met one that I, as a patient, would consider to be any good at their job.

Andy, shak8, Squeezy and 4 others like this.
  7. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Especially given ...

Andy, shak8, Squeezy and 5 others like this.
  8. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is he a victim of the "do not test" mantra of official policy?

Andy, shak8, Squeezy and 5 others like this.
  9. fivetowns

fivetowns Established Member (Voting Rights)

@Diane O'Leary I thought this thread/article might be of interest to you.

10. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I posted this link from ME Research UK on an earlier thread; misdiagnosis involving ME:

http://www.meresearch.org.uk/information/publications/misdiagnosis-on-a-grand-scale/

Two scientific papers noted in this link regarding misattribution of ME to 40% of patients in study #1, and 54% of patients in study #2.

ME Research UK also receives direct contact from about 400 people/year who first diagnosed with ME, have been re-diagnosed with other diseases such as: "Addison's, MS, sleep apnoea, primary mitochondrial disease, primary liver disease, and paranoid schizophrenia."

One can assume these people do not receive treatment until re-diagnosed.

ME Research UK calls ME "a convenient lay-by for clinically complex cases that don't fit into any category."

We can add haemochromatosis to this list.

11. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’m not sure if it’s too rare to be relevant but maybe they could add leukodystrophy/leukoencephalopathy as it’s also sometimes an MS mimick too
    They show up on mri but I wonder if there are any that don’t

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    DokaGirl likes this.