1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Incidental news correction about ME/CFS

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by MsUnderstood, Jan 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. MsUnderstood

MsUnderstood Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In Canada, news articles that include even a crumb of information about ME are few and far between. So, I was encouraged to find the following:

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2018/01/22/montreal-canadiens-carey-price-dealt-with-chronic-fatigue/

Yes, it's a stretch . . . the story talks about how the Montreal Canadiens' (hockey) goalie dealt with chronic fatigue. What's noteworthy is the Editor's correction at the bottom of the article. It states:

"Editors Note: A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that chronic fatigue is a disease. Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrom (sic) is a neuroimmune disease, chronic fatigue is simply a symptom of many illnesses."

The Last Word on Sports network primarily covers professional and college sports in North America; but also football, rugby and tennis worldwide. For me, any situation where a broader segment of society is exposed to even a nugget of truth about ME is one more baby step in the right direction in terms of recognition.

2. Melanie

Melanie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Happy they did this. I was uncertain he even had ME/CFS but if he did then it should have at least been stated as CFS. And a hockey player with ME, CFS, or ME/CFS is a stretch.

Indigophoton, Wonko, Allele and 4 others like this.
  3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It always amazes me how often the British media seem to cover ME/CFS, whereas here in Canada, we might see a story once every five years.

4. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The media has recently gone back to saying Carey Price had "chronic fatigue syndrome". At first read, I thought perhaps a concussion contributed to the "chronic fatigue (syndrome)", but it appears the concussion happened after the CF(S).

Price is apparently having a horrible season. Some guys just can't get a break. :(
    A similar current article stating Price had "chronic fatigue syndrome": https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/better-luck-next-year-montreal-canadiens-edition/ar-BBKIDv8