1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Inadvertant intravenous injections

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Tara Green, Sep 28, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Tara Green

Tara Green Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ash, Arnie Pye, SNT Gatchaman and 4 others like this.
  3. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Although I'm not sure about the two Covid vaccine shots I got this year, I've had numerous vaccinations over the past dozen years or so and I have definitely noticed them pulling back on the plunger a little before making the final injection. Whether they do it every time, I can't swear to, but it seems to be "standard operating procedure."

I'm not sure if the issue here is whether there is some instruction not to do the pull back with the Covid vaccine, or whether there isn't a clear cut instruction to always pull back on the plunger. My assumption is that checking to make sure that the the needle is not in a blood vessel is de rigueur, so I'd be surprised if there was an exception for any of the Covid vaccines.

There are intravenous injections, but, so far as I know, they are usually given through an IV line already in place. Whether vaccines would ever be given via an IV line, I don't know. I'd assume that they'd be labeled for intramuscular injection only.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    Kitty, Tara Green and SNT Gatchaman like this.
  4. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is absolutely de rigueur to aspirate before injecting into any body area. This is so that you know you're intentionally intravascular or extravascular as the case may be. Some agents can cause significant harm if given as an intravenous bolus. This could cause immediate cardiovascular collapse or anaphylaxis for example. Other agents cause local tissue damage with extravasation. It makes no sense to me that aspiration should be avoided to somehow reduce pain at the injection site. Wobbling the needle round just shouldn't be an issue: experienced/skilled practitioners wouldn't do this.

I am shocked to see this as widespread sub-standard practice. It was on evidence again yesterday when President Biden received his booster shot.

ETA: Video of Biden receiving booster shot

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    Kitty, Arnie Pye, Wits_End and 6 others like this.
  5. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Our vaccines are done the same way here where I live. It was over in seconds when I had both of mine done.

SNT Gatchaman likes this.
  6. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There was no way that was a real vaccine shot, and I doubt that anything went into his arm, not even saline or vitamins.

People are supposed to remove any air in the needle, as well as checking that the needle was not in a blood vessel. And injecting something is never done that fast, it would be excruciating.

And I'm just trying to imagine a US nurse or doctor injecting an air bubble into the US president while being videoed. It simply wouldn't happen.

7. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's how it is being done here where I live, Arnie Pye. They are super fast. It's over and done in seconds.

vsou, Lisa108, Ash and 1 other person like this.
  8. cassava7

cassava7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Scientific integrity researcher Dr Elisabeth Bik’s comments on the paper behind the claim (bolding mine):

My comments on CID paper claiming that Pfizer vaccination given intravenously (instead of in the muscle) could cause myopericarditis in mice.

The authors appeared to have used a 50 times or 500 times (it's not clear) higher dose than given to humans.

https://pubpeer.com/publications/6DB19C2CE523B3BAEAA8A8A3DCCC7D

How clinically relevant is that?
    I mean, it might be good for me to drink 2 liters of water each day, but not 100 or 1000 liters.
    I am worried this paper might be used to create fear among folks who are vaccine-hesitant.
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1443068457617018880

9. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That could be the intention behind the entire experiment.

Mithriel likes this.
  10. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The bit that perturbed me the most about the video was the apparent risk of getting air bubbles into the veins or arteries, and that would be true for any injection.

Wits_End likes this.
  11. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Same here, super fast.

TigerLilea likes this.
  12. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Arnie Pye likes this.