1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

In vitro B cell experiments explore the role of CD24, CD38 and energy metabolism in ME/CFS, 2023, Armstrong et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by EndME, Dec 11, 2023.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Michelle, Kitty, Sean and 2 others like this.
  2. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

I have long been of the view that most of what we see and know so far about ME is the patient's physiological and behavioural reaction to the underlying problem, the attempts to deal with a pathological demand on otherwise normal healthy systems now being forced to operate beyond their sustainable capacity, not the underlying problem itself.

duncan, Michelle, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  3. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For anyone struggling (like me) to find the sample size:

A total of eight ME/CFS patients (six female (F) and two male (M); median age, 33 years; range, 22–52 years) and seven healthy controls (HC) (five F and two M; median age, 33 years; range, 23–63) were included.​

4. DMissa

DMissa Established Member (Voting Rights)

That is a hard question to answer because there is a lot going on and not sure exactly which part of it you are referring to (whether my comment or the paper). I will do my best to clarify. I will do so only briefly so as not to derail away from this paper since it mostly concerns my own largely unrelated work, even if Chris is involved.

1) I had and have no involvement with this paper + data nor am I aware of being involved with following up on it directly. I met Jo and Fane while the work was being done but that was about it. The cell lines I have published about are selected from B cells but they are transfected with EBV and imo not directly comparable. I am working with Chris on these lines but I would consider the work separate for this reason. When I said where "we" are at I meant the community in general, from my POV anyway.

2) If you refer to me mentioning cause-effect and mechanism determination, I may have given the wrong impression that it was directly tied to this paper. Maybe not, but I will clarify in case. I was referring to work that I am involved with, while assuming that others are maybe doing similar things (following up published differences by testing how they relate to one another and to pathology: in isolation, in combination, by eliciting them by different approaches, and by using several types of cells, tissues, and even organisms). I don't know if there is such work related to this paper being undertaken. Basically again my comments were general (about this area of the field).

3) The MitOX talk will likely include data collected in collab with Chris. Some may be published by then, first manuscript almost finished. Depending on what makes the cut, aspects of the presented work may be relatable to this paper (since we are also working with unimmortalised immune cells too, as well as other tissues). Trying as hard as I can to get everything written up so regardless it should be in everybody's hands at some point.

PS: I do hope that the good work in this paper is being followed up. Jonathan might know? It may also be private information. Anyway I say this because as a generalist cell biologist I want more people who actually know what they're talking about looking at the metabolism of immune cells in such close detail.

Hopefully this is all clear now.

5. DMissa

DMissa Established Member (Voting Rights)

Happy to report that upon another look this paper seems to replicate closely with my own work

I just checked the unadjusted* mito red fluorescence of about 100 ME/CFS LCLs and something like 60 or 70 HC and it is also reduced as seen in the B cells in this paper. Sharing it here because that value probably won't get reported in a paper or used for anything by itself.**

In fact if we take the three things directly related to energy pathways from this paper: 1) mito red fluorescence is down 2) amino acid usage is favoured 3) glycolysis unaffected, all three of those things match the published cell line data. Could suggest that these specific differences persist thru into the lines despite the epigenetic changes induced during immortalisation. Would have been good to check this directly in a fraction of my parental B cells... hard to directly compare as I said in the last comment. But a good sign.

*Mito red was used by itself in this study which means the fluorescence is a function of both mass + MMP.
    **Because MitoTracker Red stains membrane but is also MMP dependent (when presenting mass I use mito green, and presenting MMP I use mito red normalised to green to produce a MMP measurement that accounts for differences in mass)

Amw66, sneyz, wigglethemouse and 11 others like this.