1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

In the Kingdom of the Sick: A Social History of Chronic Illness in America

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Sly Saint, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In the Kingdom of the Sick: A Social History of Chronic Illness in America - by Laurie Edwards

Interview with the Author here:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...the-kingdom-the-sick-interview-laurie-edwards

"When patients are sick with symptoms that aren’t easily managed or don’t fit neatly into diagnostic boxes, this often opens up room for skepticism and doubt. I know this firsthand since it happened to me: when my lungs and immune system didn’t respond the way doctors presumed they would, the doctors began to question me. Was I taking my medication properly? Was I just a stressed out, anxious college student and was that why I couldn’t breathe? I was in the ICU with very low oxygen levels and these were the queries I received."

"Women are disproportionately affected by many chronic illnesses, particularly chronic pain conditions, which affect twenty-five percent of Americans. Consider just some of the numbers: women are three times more likely than men to develop autoimmune diseases, two and a half times more likely to develop rheumatoid arthritis, and nine times more likely to be diagnosed with fibromyalgia. As many as 50 million American women live with a neglected pain disorder, that which is poorly understood and poorly researched."

"An estimated 133 million patients live with chronic illness, and by 2025, that number is expected to reach 164 million. It is responsible for 7/10 deaths, as well as ¾ of all health care spending. It is not something that happens to other people—it will happen to most of us, and there are still many lingering stereotypes about patients with chronic illness as weak or somehow deserving of their illnesses that I wanted to explore and confront."

The Book:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=R_BtExEDfI8C&pg=PA112&lpg=PA112&dq=iconic+women+with+chronic+illness&source=bl&ots=F2usnkX1Fo&sig=WNWpwTFnMHPmZG6awUv0rspUD6Y&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjkz7nchZnZAhWnLMAKHbQbA5s4ChDoAQgtMAA#v=onepage&q=iconic women with chronic illness&f=false

a lot about CFS, CFIDS, ME

Invisible Woman, Hutan, Jan and 3 others like this.
  2. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for the post, @Sly Saint . I've never read that book but I do remember reading the article by Toni Bernhard.

It's somewhat of a tangent but that phrasing - in the kingdom of the sick - reminds me of this quote by Virginia Woolf:
    And I recently read another book coming out soon called Doing Harm: The Truth About How Bad Medicine and Lazy Science Leave Women Dismissed, Misdiagnosed, and Sick. The author, Maya Dusenbery, was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and that led to her looking into the problems in the medical system.
    (emphasis mine)

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/maya-dusenbery/doing-harm-dusenbery/

Sorry if this post is a bit rambling. These are some thoughts that didn't seem worth creating a new thread. This one seemed an appropriate place to put them. Hope that's okay!