1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

In Search of Effective Treatments for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 2019, Theoharides

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Andy, May 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Short article, looks to be some kind of foreword to an ME focused edition of the journal.
    Open access at https://www.clinicaltherapeutics.com/article/S0149-2918(19)30175-4/fulltext

Esther12, ladycatlover and Inara like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

It looks like this is introducing the second collection of articles, following the ones he introduced with this article:
    A Timely Multidisciplinary Update on ME/CFS (link to thread).

I am puzzled by his definitions of ME/CFS.
    In the first article he says:
    And now in this article he says:

rvallee, adambeyoncelowe and Andy like this.
  3. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My exhaustion is easily explained by the following;

I am alive,
    I have ME.

I would imagine, but as I'm not an 'expert' I cannot be totally sure, that resolving either one would resolve my exhaustion.

Possibly a subject for research.

Kitty, Trish and adambeyoncelowe like this.
  4. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"characterized primarily by severe, unexplained fatigue"

I am in a bit of a relapse so I am feeling bored and grumpy but I am getting angrier and angrier about people who should know better describing our disease this way.

It is an ABNORMAL RESPONSE TO EXERCISE which characterises ME. :banghead::banghead::banghead: This can lead to experiencing fatigue most of the time because every bit of exertion causes payback but GET IT RIGHT!

5. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Grumpiness would definitely appear to be a symptom of ME, unfortunately it's specificity seems low, with at least one other condition having the same symptom (VMS - Victor Meldrew Syndrome - risk factors for this appear to be being male and above a certain age - not things that typically define PwME well).

So the diagnostic and predictive characteristics of grumpiness lead me to believe that it would probably be unsuitable as a primary sign.